THE TEAM SPEAKS
WHY TRUST US?
Review Fantasy takes utmost care of our viewers. Our team knows you want the best kind of products for fulfilling your purposes which is why we take it upon ourselves to spend hours researching and analyzing products across the internet.We don’t promote any sponsored products, whatever we make comes from when you buy anything through our links.
- Home » 10 Best Mattresses In India In April 2020!
10 Best Mattresses In India In April 2020!
- Last Updated On: April 5, 2020
Being at your place and inside your house can be associated with comfort as well as relaxation. The people who work all day long and devote quite a lot of time in traveling from home to office and vice versa do require some sound relaxation as and when they require.But, one must know that every single person has his own individual requirements of the best mattress so as to get the best comfort while sleeping. But finding the one which is going to suit your sleeping needs is a tedious task for those who don’t know much about mattresses.
Therefore, we have come up with theBest Mattresses available on the marketso as to make your decision making a bit easier. The mattresses that we have listed down below comprise theorthopedic foam, dual comfort foam, memory foam, spring, etc., which are going to cater to the requirements of many customers. Apart from that, we have also provided you with the features of every single mattress so that you can choose the one that provides the comfort that you long for.
It is necessary to have the best mattress when you spend one-third of your life sleeping on it. One bad night’s sleep can ruin the entire day and work efficiency. Here’s where a high-quality mattress comes into play if you’re really serious about your health and fitness in the long run. Good sleep is the best element for a healthy life and refreshed mind. Overall it shows in every facet of life.Happiness is a byproduct of a good night’s sleep.
Editor’s Picks: Top 5 Best Mattresses
Table Of Contents
After a whole day of grinding for your passion or at work, we all need a sound sleep and there is nothing best than having a best mattress to sleep. We closely spend one-third of our life sleeping, you better choose the right mattress for yourquality sleep, your spine posture and overall quality of your health. There are so many options available in the market that buying the best mattress could be a taxing process. Here’s why we’ve come up with top 10 best mattress options so that you can get the best sleep and overall good health for you and your loved one.
1. Flo Ergo Gel Memory Foam + Proprietary Responsive Foam Mattress, 75x60x6 Inches.
Flo is a Direct to Consumer mattress startup which promises the best sleep of your life, or your money back. They give you a100-night trial & 10-year warranty.A queen size Flo Ergo mattress costs approximately Rs. 15,000 whereas a similar quality from Sleepwell or Kurlon costs Rs. 40,000+. They’re able to give a mattress thischeapbecause theyship directly from the factoryand don’t have middlemen like distributors, etc.
- UNCOMPROMISED BACK SUPPORT: The Ergo is recommended for those who prefer softer ergonomic support. Our proprietary responsive poly foam forms the foundation of this mattress and ensures that no part of your body sinks into the mattress more than it should. This layer responds accurately to pressure, the more pressure your body exerts on the mattress, the more it reacts to support you
- It is constructed with a top layer of gel infused memory foam that helps maintain the natural shape of your spine, 100 NIGHT TRIAL and 10 YEAR WARRANTY: Try us out for 100 nights. Do not settle for a spring mattress or a coir mattress, when you can get our exceptional gel infused memory foam mattress instead
- The materials used are top layer memory foam and base layer proprietary Flo responsive foam.
- 100 Night Trial & 10 Year Warranty
- It has an aloe vera infused washable cover made out of Cashmere silk
- The product comes in standard and custom sizes
- Free delivery & COD all over India
2. Wakefit Orthopaedic Memory Foam Mattress, Single Bed Size (72x36x5)
Buying a good mattress is a good way to improve your chances of good sleep. Our first pick is fromWake Fit Mattresses. A good quality sleep always counts when it comes to health quality. If you’re even a little bit health enthusiast, then you know what we’re referring to here.
- Length (72 Inches), Width (36 Inches), Height (5 Inches)
- Color : White , Mattress Feel : Medium Firm.
- The material used is of high quality and density memory foam.
- We felt its softness is ideal, neither too much nor too less.
- The mattress is made with best quality quilted cotton fabric cover.
- The product comes with a 5 year manufacturer’s Warranty.
- It is available in multiple sizes.
3. Wakefit Dual Comfort Mattress – Hard & Soft, Single Bed Size (72x36x5)
Thedual Wake-Fit Dual Comfortis arguably the best mattress in India that you can get. Sleep good with a comfortable mattress and sleep your way to good health.Sleep good, feel good and look good; yes, it’s that good.
- Length (72 Inches), Width (36 Inches), Height (5 Inches)
- Color : White , Mattress Feel : Medium Firm & Medium Soft on Different Sides
- The material used is high-density foam.
- It has medium-firm on both sides.
- The mattress is made with a premium quality quilted cotton fabric cover.
- The product comes with 7 years of warranty.
- It comes in multiple shapes and sizes.
4. Dreamzee Ortho-Care Memory Foam Mattress – Soft Comfort (78 x 72 x 6 Inch)
DreamZee Orthocare Memory Foam Eurotopis the third-best in India based on reviews. The product comes withmultiple sizes and shapes, all of them being so soft as to make you keep lying on bed forever. We reviewed this, and so we know this is a fact! There is a good Warranty card too, promising at least5 yearsof soft and firm usage.
- Comfort Level – It has “ SOFT ” comfort level. Being Soft at the top and medium firm at the bottom. It’s a reversible mattress having “ Dual Comfort ” feature that can be used both sides as per comfort needed.
- Cushioning Layer – Drift into deeper and peaceful sleep with this mattress as it cradles your body with a deluxe cushioning of 1” Cool Memory Foam and 1" Soft Foam. This foam takes the shape of your body and also helps in regulating temperature to ease pressure points for a restful sleep.
- Its material used in the mattress is in memory foam.
- It is soft and firm to use.
- It has a first-class imported quilted cover.
- The product comes with five year warranty period.
- It comes in multiple shapes and sizes as per the client’s requirement.
5. @home By Nilkamal Value+ 4-inch Single Size Foam Mattress (Maroon, 78x36x4)
Nilkamal is one of the oldest and most trusted brands in the industry. Changing habits are a bit difficult but changing mattresses takes no time. It is one of the easiest ways to improve your overall health, and this mattress should fit your bed too as it comes inlots of sizes.
- Product Dimensions: Length (78 inches), Width (36 inches), Height (4 inches)
- Primary Material: Evlon/Lux Foam
- The material used in the Nilkamal Mattress is Evlon/Lux foam.
- It has medium to average firm look and feel.
- The product comes with 2 years warranty period.
- It comes in various sizes.
6. Kurl-on Dream Sleep 6-inch Single Size Spring Mattress (72x36x6), Multicolor
Kurl-on Dream Sleepis one of thefamousmattresses available on the market. Use these mattresses and improve the health and fitness levels along with work efficiency. With a5-year Warrantyandspring mechanism, you can be sure about its functionality. Don’t you just love the name, by the way?
- Product Dimensions: Length (72 inches), Width (36 inches), Height (6 inches)
- Primary Material: Spring
- The material used in the mattress is spring.
- It offers medium to average comfort.
- The product comes with 5 year warranty period.
- The Kurl-on mattress is available in different shapes and sizes as per requirement.
- These mattresses come with a quilted cover.
7. COIR FIT Beetle 4-inch Single Size Coir Mattress (Multicolour, 72x30x4)
Coir Fitis one of thefamousbrands among users. It provides the perfect sleep due to its perfect design! Though this only has aWarranty of a year, we loved its foamy material.
- Primary Material:Coir
- The material used in these mattresses is coir foam.
- They offer medium to average comfort feel.
- The product comes with one year manufacturer warranty.
- These mattresses come in different shapes and sizes as per client’s requirement.
- These mattresses come with one side quilted upholstery cover.
8. Nilkamal Sneham XL 5-inch Queen Size Rubberised Coir Mattress (Maroon, 72x60x5)
Thoughmade of rubberised coir, we were impressed with its softness. Itcomes with a nice quilted covertoo, so that’s neat. The Warranty given is for2 years, which is not a bad number. Moreover, itcomes with a lot of sizesto fit your needs.
- Product Dimensions: Length (72 inches), Width (60 inches), Height (5 inches)
- Primary Material: Rubberised Coir
- The material used in the mattress is rubberised coir.
- The overall look and feel of these mattresses is soft.
- It comes with a quilted cover.
- The product comes with 2 years manufacturer warranty period.
- It comes multiple shape and sizes.
[email protected] 4-INCH SINGLE SIZE FOAM MATTRESS Review
Our eighth-best mattresses available in India are [email protected] All mattresses mentioned in this list are at the top of their game and can be used without giving any second thoughts. Increase overall health and fitness levels of you and your loved ones by using this mattress. One limitation of this product is that only a1 year Warrantyis given. A good night’s sleep is one of the best ways to ensure a good mood, a fresh mind, and overall good productivity at work and life in general.Available in multiple sizes and shapes, and also coming with a quilted cover and boasting softness, this Mattress is overall very good.
- The material used in the mattress is Evlon/Lux foam.
- The product gives a soft feel.
- It comes with a quilted cover.
- The product comes with one year warranty period.
- The product is available in multiple shapes and sizes.
10. Foams India® 100% Natural Latex Foam® Portable Mattress- Mattress Topper (size-75 *.
Use this mattress and save yourself from unhealthy body posture, disturbed sleep and sever problems that you might suffer from incomplete sleep. Unfortunately, no Warranty is offered. Yet, this product is on our list, so obviously it has earned its keep. Some of the flattering characteristics it boasts areavailability of sizesandfoamy comfort. One feature that curiously caught our eye is itswashable protector made of rubber.
- The matress offers good comfort and can be used over various surfaces. It Can be rolled and stored where place is minimal.
- Natural Latex Foam is dust and mite resistant .lt is highly hygienic, healthy to use and easy to maintain.
- The material used in the mattress is in the latex foam.
- These mattresses are known for their good comfort.
- These mattresses come with a washable protector made from a normal rubber.
- It offers no warranty.
- The mattress is available in different sizes.
You may have already noticed that we have talked aboutavailability of shapes and sizesin our reviews. What did we mean? Is there a scientific basis for determining size? Here we provide the various sizes Mattresses come in.
Twin Mattress (39” X 75”)
These are moreover known as thesingle mattresses and might be able to accommodate solely a single child or person. Such mattresses may not be capable of accommodating a tall grown-up.
Twin XL Mattress (39” X 80”)
Such mattresses are called the single beds as well, but they span 80” in length, which turns themideal to accommodate the people that are tall. They save a lot of space when placed in the dormitory rooms as well as the visitor bedrooms.
Full Mattress (54” X 75”)
A full mattress is going to be better for all the peoplewho desire to possess a broader space whilst they are sleeping, since the separating mattresses vacate solely 27” of space for a single person for relaxing.
Queen Mattress (60” X 80”)
This type of mattress is a remarkable catchfor the adults that are growing or even the couples that favor sleeping closer to one another. These are normally the most prevalent type of mattresses found in India.
King Mattress (76” X 80”)
These mattresses are one of the finest choicesfor the couples who would prefer having their individual space whilst they sleep.Such mattresses are moreover a quality pick for households or thepet owners who tend to share the bed with the pets at home.
California King Mattress (72” X 84”)
The mattresses of such sort are mainly king mattresses out of which 4” are separated from the length and affixed to the width.It is an idyllic option for people who require the utmost sleeping area.
On the market, there are plenty of options to choose from, which is an advantage as you get a variety to select a quality mattress as per your preference and a disadvantage since an option surplus can lead to a lot of confusion at times. Therefore, with ourBest Mattress Buying Guide, we would like to tell you’re the features that you require checking before coming to a final decision.
The mattress size is a significant aspect that plays a vital role whilst choosing the mattress you would prefer to put on the bed. Your mattress requirements are going to differas per the totality of people for whom you are buying the mattress, or the type of area you’re probing for whilst you sleep.
A few people discover themselves completely comfy in a single mattress of 39” X 75” or 39” X 80” dimensions.Families or couples commonly incline to search for a queen or king-sized mattresses which provide bigger spaces for sleeping, and hence additional comfort comes in.
The majorly imperative thing whilst searching for the Best Mattresses in India or the Best Mattress Brands is how comfy your bed is. Some things that you should hunt for whilst determining amongst plenty of choices are:How does the bed feel? Is it sufficiently soft? Or is it going to adapt as per the body’s shape or not?
As soon as you come with answers to every single one of these or have tried your mattress on such parameters, you need to take a general idea of how the bed is going to serve your napping position. There might be plenty of mattresses that are comfy whilst you’re relaxing on them but aren’t fairly the same whilst you consider lying down or sleeping on them. Hence,you should get overall satisfaction prior to investing in the accurate type of mattress for sleeping.
The mattress’s quality is going to be your bed’s soul. It turns out to be even further significant to select the appropriate mattress quality to avert further disorders or discomfort whilst sleeping. The quality of your mattress comprisesdurability, firmness, and moreover, thematerial qualityutilized.
Somebody who takes a nap on their back is going to require a firmer mattress in comparison to somebody who is a tummy sleeper. Whilst purchasing a mattress from your preferred mattress type, ensure that you try it as long as you would like to, to get overall gratification.
In addition, the different types of mattresses are prepared to make use of different chief materials.Water, foam, air and other sorts of mattresses deliver different stages of relaxation. It is imperative that you check your mattress prior to purchasing one to verify the kind of relaxation you’re probing for.
We suppose that after every user has gone through the detailed and comprehensive reviews, they are going to find one or the other mattress that would match their requirements, preferences, and budget. Furthermore, we would like to tell all our users that not even a single mattress on our listing is from a non-reputed brand and won’t trouble you anyhow after the purchase. So, you may choose any mattress considering your budget and preferences without any sort of stress.
However, if you are unable to choose a mattress that would suit your requirements and budget, you should go with our personally suggested product so that you get utmost value for your money. The mattress that we would like to recommend our users to purchase is this one:
This Mattress is going to deliver comfort like no other mattress can. In addition, it comes with a 5-years manufacturer’s warranty so that you don’t need to worry about any sort of problem that you.
1. Should I choose the biggest size available?
No, we recommend you choose a bed size that isappropriate for the number of peoplethat sleep on the bed, andwhether they like a lot of room or whether “just enough” room suits them. Of course, the mattress has to fit the bed!
2. My siblings/offspring often play wrestling on the bed. What type of Mattress is most suitable for them?
If they play wrestling or jump on the bed, then the bed will take damage eventually. However, to minimize that likelihood, you canchoose a Mattress made of tough quality such as rubber.
3. Help, my Mattress has no Warranty. Does that mean it will break down?
Many Mattresses unfortunately come with no Warranty. But that doesn’t mean it will break or get ruined at the slightest touch. So,don’t worry that much.
4. I have unfortunately bought a Mattress of a wrong size. What do I do?
You can return itif it has not been used. If the size of the Mattress is only a little off to what you require, however, then don’t worry.It may very well stretch in time and adapt to your needs!
5. How can I wash my Mattress?
Good question. It is a tough procedure to wash it and wait for it to dry as it will take a long time. However,some Mattresses come with a washable protective cover. You can try that!
One thing to keep in mind is that we have listed our top recommendations for the Best Mattresses in India, but that does not mean that we have listed the #1, #2, #3, … #10 in terms of quality. That would be boring and redundant. Instead, we have catered to different tastes of everyone and selected the Mattresses accordingly. Thus, the overall best Mattress is listed, and so is the most economical one (the cheapest but with certain level of quality). Moreover, we have also catered to other features besides quality and budget, such as availability of sizes.
In short, you can rely on our list and choose one suiting your needs, or just read the Buying Guide and then select one tailored to your needs!
Last updated on 2020-04-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
9 Best Mattress in India (2020) | Ultimate Buying Guide!
A good night’s rest provides the most blissful experience in this world. You deserve it after a hard day at work (either at the office or home).
Now, a lot depends on themattressesyou use. The last thing you would like to have is a backache when you wake up in the morning.
Thebest mattressis that which allows you to get up in the morning feeling rejuvenated to take up the challenges of the day.
How do you choose the best mattress in India? It is not as easy as you think because you have to keep many things in your mind before you decide the right mattress for your home. This buying guide should make your task easy.
We Highly recommend you to read theMattress Buying Guideafter the below list, so you can select the right size and type of mattress according to your sleeping posture and other considerations.
Use the belowtable of contentsto navigate. We cover everything related to the mattress in this post.
Table of Contents
Best Mattress in India
1. Emma Original Memory Foam Mattres s
- Check Price at Emma, Amazon
TheEmma Originalhas already conquered the mattress-in-a-box market in Europe and has won over 35 “Best Mattress” awards along the way.
And now Europe’s best mattress brand has finally made its first foray into the Indian market and already, for our money, it is the best mattress you can buy in India.
- It provides perfect body alignment and support, thanks to its patented HRX foam and Visco -Elastic memory foam layers, hence it also helps in alleviating a variety of body aches and pains.
- Its trademarked “Airgocell” open cell technology facilitates perfect temperature control and breathability, making it the only memory foam mattress that can stand up to the scorching Indian summer heat.
- The Emma Original is made from 100% vegan, organic, non-harmful materials, which makes it the eco-friendliest memory foam mattress you can currently buy in India.
- It’s uncanny ability to negate motion transfer means your sleep can never be interrupted by the movements of the person sleeping next to you.
- It is the only mattress in India that comes with a true industry-first, groundbreaking 20 Year Warranty.
2. Wake-Fit Orthopaedic Memory Foam Mattress
One of the top companies manufacturing orthopaedic mattresses in India, Wake-Fit mattresses come with a 10-year manufacturer warranty.
As the makers use high quality memory foam, these mattresses provide excellent support to your back and enable you to enjoy a restful, deep sleep.
- The mattress has a medium firm feel. Hence, it is one of the best orthopaedic memory foam mattresses available in India.
- The premium quality quilted cotton fabric cover not only provides adequate protection to the mattress but also enhances its appearance.
- The high-density foam used in the manufacturing of this mattress makes this one of the most sought-after mattresses in town.
- You get excellent back and neck support as you use the mattress. It ensures you get a peaceful and restful sleep.
- This mattress comes with a 10-year warranty, one of the longest in the Indian market.
3. Dreamzee Orthocare Memory Foam Eurotop Mattress
The Dreamzee Orthocare Memory Foam Eurotop mattress is one of the most comfortable mattresses available in India. This mattress comes with additional support at the edges to prevent it from sagging at the corners.
It is a large mattress by traditional Indian standards. It justifies its reputation as the best queen mattress in India.
- This mattress comes with excellent support features to help maintain body posture.
- The memory foam in use is a heat-sensitive material that makes it apt for taking perfect care of the spine.
- Developed by NASA, the 2-inch Visco memory foam gives you a cradle-like experience.
- The machine-made Eurotop finish to the mattress is evident in the Premium imported quilted cover.
- You get a 5-year manufacturer warranty with this mattress.
4. SleepyCat – Gel Memory Foam Mattress
The SleepyCat Gel Memory Foam mattress comes with cooling crystals to regulate your body temperature throughout the night.
This mattress also provides ample back support by adjusting to the contours of the body thereby ensuring a good night’s sleep.
- The therapeutic layer in the gel memory foam helps distribute your body weight evenly and keeps you cool throughout the night.
- The high-density foam support layer adds strength, durability, and structure to the mattress.
- The breezy inner cover helps to maintain the foam inside while providing unique airflow throughout your mattress.
- The ultra-premium outer cover is made of high GSM knitted fabric for added comfort and flexibility. The hand-crafted cover is easily removable for spot cleaning.
- This mattress is India’s first mattress in a box. You do not have to pay any additional amount for delivery.
- This Company has a social side to it as well because they donate one mattress for every ten they sell.
- These qualities make it one of the best foam mattresses in India.
5. Sleepyhead 6-inch Queen Size Memory Foam mattress
The Sleepyhead foam mattress is the perfect one having layers of memory foam and springy breathable foam. The Queen sized memory foam mattress is the ideal one for an Indian bed. You get the right amount of firmness and bounce needed for a restful night.
- Buying it online can reduce the cost by almost 60%.
- You get free delivery in a delightful box. All you have to do is to unpack it like a blanket.
- The 100-day free trial is one of the best facilities you ever get.
- This mattress provides the maximum firmness to support almost all body types.
- The bounce is also perfect that does not disturb your partner when you toss around in bed.
- The three substantial foam layers provide the right density levels.
- This mattress comes with a washable outer cover to enable you to keep the mattress dust-free.
6. Wake-Fit Dual Comfort Mattress – Hard & Soft
You can use this dual comfort mattress from both the sides. One side is a firm mattress while the reverse side is a soft one. Therefore, you can use this dual comfort mattress according to your requirements and changing weather conditions.
- Use the firmer side during the winter months whereas the medium-soft side comes handy in the other seasons.
- The high-density foam used in the mattress is of the best quality.
- You get this product directly from the factory
- A high-quality mattress cover made from premium quality quilted cotton fabric comes along with this mattress.
- The 5-year manufacturer warranty takes care of all manufacturing defects.
7. Urban Ladder DreamLite Eurotop Bonnel Spring Mattress
The innerspring technology used in this mattress provides excellent back support. With the unique top foam quilting made for ensuring softness, this mattress does not compromise on the comfort factor any time.
- The Bonnel spring construction ensures that the mattress is light. It also enhances air flow.
- The anti-corrosive springs guaranteed a longer lifespan for the mattress.
- This mattress has a top layer of super soft foam that ensures enhanced comfort. You do not toss or turn around in your bed.
- The reinforced spring support and foam casing prevents sagging and rolling off the edges.
- This mattress has earned a reputation for being the best mattress for spine pain.
- The 5-year manufacturer warranty is an additional welcome feature.
8. Kurl-On Dream Sleep 6-Inch Queen Size Spring Mattress
Kurl-On is India’s largest selling mattress since 1962. The 6-inch Queen sized spring mattress comes in many colours. They provide optimum support to the spine and the back.
This mattress is a perfect blend of firmness and softness making it one of the best double bed mattresses available in India.
- The high-tensile Bonnel springs are strong enough to bear heavy loads.
- The springs have an encasing of Thermo bond that prevents from rupturing the layers of the mattress.
- The mattress comes with thick PU foam that maximizes the sleeping surface and ensures a comfortable sleep.
- The Kurlopedic technology allows the mattress to provide for perfect alignment of the spine by conforming to the different shapes of the human body.
- It also ensures to discourage the presence of microbes, dust mites, and bed bugs.
- You have a 5-year warranty with a 1-year free replacement clause.
9. Nilkamal Value+ 4-inch Single Size Foam Mattress
Nilkamal mattresses are a result of thorough research and survey of sleeping habits of Indians and the weather conditions prevailing in India.
This company is the first one to use the Height and Weight Chart to help users select the most recommended firmness. These mattresses are available in all four firmness ranges.
- The Intelligent Sleep Technology ensures that you get the highest degree of comfort when you use Nilkamal Single Size Foam mattress
- The company uses Evlon/Lux Foam for the manufacture of these mattresses.
- This mattress comes with a 2-year warranty.
- It is a multi-layered mattress.
10. Coirfit Beetle 4-Inch Single Size Coir Mattress
Coir mattresses are renowned for their firmness. However, this coir mattress has the right combination of PU foam and active bond material. The ergonomic design of this mattress gives it the right weight balance.
- The primary material in use is coir. Hence, you can call this an eco-friendly mattress.
- The mattress comes with the perfect combination of PU foam and active bond material.
- The springy feel of this mattress helps maintain proper blood circulation.
- The bounce back mattress protector is an exciting feature of this mattress.
- Made of cotton fabric, the outer portion of the mattress is durable.
- This mattress comes with a 1-year warranty.
- It is a sizeable single-bed mattress.
11. Foams India Brands Natural Latex Portable Mattress
Latex mattresses are eco-friendly mattresses to the core. This portable mattress is a single-size mattress that provides a high degree of comfort. The advantage of this product is that you can use them over various surfaces. This mattress is a highly versatile one.
- This mattress provides excellent comfort as it has all the qualities of a memory foam mattress.
- The anti-microbial feature ensures that this mattress remains fresh at all times.
- You can roll this portable mattress and store it anywhere. Therefore, it occupies less space.
- It comes with a washable protector made from natural rubber. Hence, it is healthy to use.
- This mattress is available in a range of colours and designs to suit the individual tastes of the customers.
- The high-quality zipper works well at different temperatures.
Best Mattress — Buying Guide
What should you look for when you buy a mattress?
You have to consider various aspects such as size, thickness, durability, conforming ability, providing support, motion isolation, and many more. We shall look at each of these aspects in detail.
Size of the mattress
The size of the mattresses in India is different from that in other countries, like the US. You should ensure that it should be in sync with the size of your bed.
However, you have standard sizes of mattresses like Single, Twin, Twin XL, Full or Double, King, Queen, California King, and so on. Not all these sizes are available in India. In India, you usually get the following sizes.
The single size mattresses are fit for single cots. They usually come in sizes (72 X 36) to (75 X 36) inches. It is a large mattress for a child, but a heavy adult could feel cramped.
These mattresses are not exactly double the size of the single size mattresses, but are comfortable enough for a heavy adult. It is an ideal size for two medium-sized adults. Usually, you get them in size range of (72 X 48) to (75 X 60) inches.
The Queen Size mattress is bigger than the double size mattress as two large adults can comfortably sleep on them. However, it can become cramped if you have a child. These mattresses come in the size range (72 X 60) to (78 X 60) inches.
The King size mattress is the perfect one for a couple with a child. They are very comfortable as they are double the size of the single size mattresses. You get them in the size range (72 X 72) to (78 X 72) inches.
Note that these are the standard sizes available on the market. You can always have a made-to-order mattress depending on the size of your bed.
The thickness of the mattress is an essential feature. Most of the mattresses are at least 10 inches thick. However, you have mattresses with a thickness in the range of 5 inches to 15 inches.
Your body weight is a crucial factor that determines the depth of your mattress. If you are a heavy individual, you would naturally feel comfortable on thicker beds. On the other hand, lighter individuals prefer shorter beds.
The firmness of the mattress depends on two principal factors,
- the weight of the person sleeping on it, and
- the sleeping position
Individuals weighing less than 60 kg would prefer to go for a softer mattress whereas people weighing more than 60 kg should necessarily opt for a firmer mattress. The firmness of the mattress is a vital factor as it ensures the conforming ability of the mattress thereby giving you relief from the pressure you create on the mattress.
Thesleeping position plays a critical roleas well. People who tend to sleep on their side prefer to have softer mattresses whereas those who sleep on their back or stomach opt for a heavier and firmer mattress. It makes them feel comfortable.
Thus, we can infer that the softer mattresses are the best mattress for side sleepers whereas the firmer ones are the best mattress for stomach sleepers.
In the usual course,a mattress lasts for around seven yearsdepending on the usage. If you are a frequent user or if you have children in the home, you should not expect your mattresses to last for seven years.
However, a lot depends on the composition of the materials that go into manufacturing your mattress. The coir mattresses have a smaller lifespan as compared to the spring mattresses. The foam and the memory foam mattresses can last longer than seven years.
The latex mattresses and airbed mattresses have a long lifespan in comparison to the foam and the spring mattresses. Nevertheless, the ideal frequency for replacing a mattress is seven years.
When we speak about mattresses giving support, we refer to the bed’s ability to provide an even surface to align the spine and the pelvis. It should not sink beneath the heavier parts of the body.
In the initial stages, all mattresses provide optimum support to the body’s shape. However, with usage, you will find that the support decreases, especially in the incredibly soft mattresses such as latex or memory foam.
In comparison, the spring mattresses and airbed mattresses offer better support throughout its lifespan. Therefore, the soft mattress does not provide consistent support to the body.
The mattress should conform to the sleeper’s body to help align the spine. It also prevents the pressure points from developing. Usually, the topmost layers of the mattress define the conforming ability of any mattress.
Hence, the models that come with thicker comfort layers like the memory foam or the latex mattress are the ones that show the maximum conforming ability.
When you move around or keep shifting during your sleep, it creates a motion transfer that the other person can feel. Hence, it can be disturbing for a couple if one of them keeps shifting continuously or gets down from the bed frequently.
Thespring mattresses are the most uncomfortable when it comes to the motion isolation factor. The coir mattresses, foam, or the latex mattresses are much better in comparison.
Usually, you find all mattresses sinking at the edges because people tend to sit at the sides when they get into or out of bed.
Some of the latest mattresses in town such as theall-foam or all-latex modelsdo not provide the necessary support at the edges. Hence, such mattresses tend to sag towards the edges after continuous usage.
The coir mattresses and the coil-based support cores reinforced in high-density foam mattresses are the best when it comes to providing support under such circumstances. It is advisable to have additional padding at all the edges to neutralize the sinking of the mattresses.
Naturally, people love to sleep hot. However, some mattresses absorb body heat and trap them. Such mattresses can cause discomfort as it causes sleepers to feel warmer than usual.
Thefoam mattresses are the warmestof all as they have solid support cores. Latex mattresses also have solid support cores. Hence, they also make it warmer for the sleeper.
However, the hybrid mattresses and the innersprings are the most temperature-neutral of all mattresses because they allow air circulation inside the mattresses in their support core.
It is natural for all mattresses to emit harmless gasses when they are new. Sometimes, these gases carry an unpleasant odour. Usually, these smells dissipate in a few days.
It is better to keep the new mattress in a ventilated room for some days before using it. Some cushions continue to emit these strong smells for a longer time.
All mattresses are heavy and awkward to move. You need at least three to four people to even reverse the mattress from one side to the other.
The average King-sized mattress is around 45 to 50 kg. The foam, spring, and airbed mattresses are comparatively lighter than the latex and the hybrid mattresses.
The airbed mattresses have adjustable air chambers and electrical components. Hence, these mattresses make the maximum noise. The foam and latex mattresses are the most silent of all mattresses in the market.
The innerspring and the hybrids can also emit a creaking sound from their steel coils.
Types of mattresses available in India
In India, you usually find the following types of mattresses.
- Coir mattress
- Spring mattress
- Foam mattress
- Memory Foam Mattress
- Latex mattress
- Re-bonded Foam mattress
- Airbed mattress
Let us look at all these different types of mattresses in brief.
1. Coir mattress
The coir mattress is an Indian innovation. Such types of mattresses are available in India alone. You usecoconut coirfor making these coir mattresses. Yes, they are themost eco-friendlyof all the mattresses available on the market.
These mattresses are firm and hence can be uncomfortable as compared to the foam mattresses. However, they are economical.
The coir mattresses have a disadvantage that they tend to sag soon. As it continues to bear your weight over a period, the coir gets pressed. As coir does not have elasticity, the mattresses do not spring back to shape.
Hence, they do not last as long as the other mattresses do. The average lifespan of a coir mattress should be around five to five and a half years.
However, they are firm mattresses that do not exhibit motion transfer. Therefore, it does not disturb you if your partner has a habit of moving around in bed during sleep.
10 Best Mattress In India: 2020 Reviews & Buying Guide
A good quality mattress is like a backbone for a relaxed sleep.
Right choice will help you relax the muscles, improve posture and sleep by contouring to your body shape. But a wrong choice will leave you with back pain and disturbed sleep.
To purchase the right mattress according to your needs, consider below factors…
Basically, there are 3 types – soft, medium and firm. To select among them, you have to consider 3 factors that include sleep position, weight and whether you suffer from back pain or not. Based on them we have assorted the information in a table mentioned below…
|Weight||Firmness Choice||Sleeping Position||Back Problem|
|Average||Medium||Multiple positions||Yes or No|
|Heavy||Firm||Back or stomach||No|
- Material Type
Several types of materials are used to make mattresses. Some popular ones are latex, memory foam, and spring.
- Memory Foam– It is best suited for people looking for pressure relief, body shaping, back support, and great hug.
- Latex– Perfect for sleepers who want cooling, bounce and responsiveness.
- Innerspring– Best for people who want similar bouncy feeling.
Other equally important factors include motion isolation, thickness, edge support, etc. You can get detail information in our“Buying Guide”.
Along with that, we have also picked upthe Best Mattresses in Indiaafter a lot of research, testing and reading a lot of customer reviews.
Top 10 Best Mattress Brand in India
|Mattresses||Type||Warranty||Sleep Trial||Buy Now|
|Emma Orthopaedic Memory Foam Mattress||Memory Foam||20 years||100 days||Check the Price|
|Wakefit Orthopaedic Memory Foam Mattress||Memory Foam||20 years||100 days||Check the Price|
|SleepyCat – Gel Memory Foam Mattress||Memory Foam||10 years||30 days||Check the Price|
|Sleepyhead Memory Foam Mattress||Memory Foam||10 years||100 days||Check the Price|
|Sleepwell Memory Foam Mattress||Foam||5 years||NA||Check the Price|
|Comforto Duplex | Firm and Soft Dual Comfort Mattress||Foam||10 years||NA||Check the Price|
|Springtek Ortho Pocket Spring||Pocket Spring Foam||11 years||NA||Check the Price|
|Blissrent Foam Mattress||Foam||1 year||NA||Check the Price|
|Extrasleep Coir Mattress||Coir||5 years||NA||Check the Price|
|Shagun 4-inch Double Size Foam Mattress||Foam||6,8,11 years (Variable)||NA||Check the Price|
Top 10 Mattress Brands Reviews in India 2020
1. Emma Memory Foam Mattress
First on our list of the best mattresses in India is the “Emma Mattress“; A European origin memory foam mattress who has been the consistent winner of the 30 best mattress awards in the UK for 2018 and 2019.
Available in over 13 different sizes, you have the choice to pick an Emma mattress from a single bed to massive King size. Emma comes with 100 days of the trial period wherein you can try it out and if you do not like it, they take it back. No questions asked.
Emma Foam Mattresses come with a German Build quality that lasts for a long period of time and does not require constant replacements like most mattresses. With a unique design for pain-free comfort, the mattresses have maximum body adaptability.
The mattress is triple-layered and has 7 zones of the spine support structure which provides optimum weight distribution and soothes your lower back.
The mattresses have their top covers made from highly breathable fibres that release any moisture that gets in or is generated periodically; thus maintaining an ideal sleeping temperature.
Right under it is a relaxed and decompressing airgocell layer with an open-pore structure. This enables greater movement of air in and out of the mattress at all times thus promising brilliant breathability.
Combined with that are the Visco-Elastic memory foam and polyurethane foam in a supportive layer which lasts very long. The Visco-Elastic memory foam is highly adaptive and distributes your weight comfortably across the mattress and thus relieves your spine. The Polyurethane foam, on the other hand, is placed at the bottom of the mattress and provides support to your shoulder and lower back.
Closing off these layers is the grey coloured comfort cover. Its handles and 3D mesh not just give the mattress a stylish look but also add to the air circulation and grip when placed on a bed frame. We observed that all of these layers have calculated density and proportions which perfectly sum up to be one big and comfortable bed.
Both the top and bottom covers are easily removable and washable by machine. It is perfect for stomach, back and side sleepers. The mattress comes in rolled up in a high vacuum-sealed packaging and thus is easily transportable. All you need to do is unpack and roll it on the bed as it expands to its original size in a couple of hours.
Emma seems to be defined by its customer service and quality. While the mattress has 10 days replacement, it has a massive 20 years of manufacturer’s warranty. During this course, if you seem to not like the mattress for any reason, Emma promptly arranges for a return and a full refund with no cost cuts. And then there is also the aforementioned free 100-day trial. All of these factors make Emma a great buy for anyone.
They are sized at 28″ x 16″ and are made out of the visco-elastic memory foam and other hypo-allergenic and breathable materials. These pillows are highly ergonomic for sleep and are height adjustable. They are perfect for people suffering from neck, shoulder or other orthopaedic ailments. The covers are machine washable.
- 100 days of free trial and full refund if you do not like it
- 20 Years of manufacturer’s warranty
- Available in 13 different bed sizes
- Has 3 layers of comfort which include an Airgocell-layer, a visco-elastic memory foam layer and a long-lasting polyurethane foam supportive layer.
- 7 zones spine support structure for better distribution of weight
- The 3D meshed outer layer and a special climate fibre have great perforations which make the mattress moisture free and have a comfortable sleeping temperature, always.
- Perfect for people with back pain, insomnia and other back-related issues
Buy Now From Amazon
2. Wakefit Orthopaedic Memory Foam Mattress
With a 20 year warranty, 100 day sleep trial and a soft yet comfortable solution to any back/spine pain, the Wake Fit Orthopedic Memory Foam Mattress steals in the first spot.
If you are a pregnant woman or just any individual who has a history of back pain, this is a perfect choice. It does not just help you relieve your back pain but also keeps its temperature flexible memory foam keeps you cool.
People who choose to sleep on Memory foam do not change or shift their sleeping positions in more than 4-hour stretches. Hence the mattress locks on to your favorite sleep position and offers great help to back pains and comfort to the spine.
The mattresses core is densely filled with memory foam fused with other premium quality foam (orthopaedic foam). Even with that, the mattress stays soft which talks about the good quality of the foam used. This thickness of foam aids in retaining the shape of the mattress and durability even in prolonged usage over the years.
As mentioned, the mattress is temperature flexible. This is so because the cells of the foam are bigger in size and this helps in the greater flow of air to and from the mattress. Thus it not only keeps the entire mattress cool but also reduces the possibility of odors forming.
This mattress is also light in weight and easily transportable it only weighs 10 kgs. The cover of the mattress is made up of high-grade cotton and it can be removed and washed from time to time.
Wakefit’s 100 day trial period, 20 years manufacturer warranty and their incredibly fast customer service make it the finest pick of the lot.
- 100 Days sleep trial period
- Light in weight and does not sag down easily
- Use of High Quality of Memory foam and is in a dense packing for greater comfort.
- Great help in back pain and neck pain.
- The easily removable and washable outer skin can increase the life of the mattress.
- Temperature flexible and prolonged coolness due to bigger foam cells
- Comes in different customized fit sizes.
- 20 years manufacturer warranty.
Buy Now From Amazon
3. SleepyCat – Gel Memory Foam Mattress
A gel-based memory foam mattress that is rolled up and mailed for you to try for 30 days and return if you don’t like it. The SleepyCat mattresses win in two aspects. Incredibly great product and equally incredible customer support.
Ideally made to serve as a saviour for people suffering from back pains, this mattress can be used by people both young and adult. Old people may slightly feel uncomfortable because of the softness of the mattress.
Made out of 5 layers of 6-inch thickness, it has the base, netted covers, memory foam and the orthopaedic gel. The outer layer of the mattress is made out of high-quality GSM fabric that is handcrafted and knitted. You also have an easily removable Zip on the top which makes it easy to remove and clean from time to time.
The mattress is non-motion transferring in nature. This means that no matter how much your partner moves about in their sleep, it won’t cause the mattress on your side to move. Thus you can sleep peacefully undisturbed by their movements due to the great motion isolation factor.
But apart from the awesome features, we feel that the thickness of the mattress could be increased. Memory foam mattresses are supposed to be denser and thicker. This mattress is dense enough but needs to be a bit thicker. But that could be opinionated as well.
The product comes with a 10-year warranty and also the aforementioned 30 day trial period. During this time, you can actually test out the mattress. Does the gel really work for you? Can you feel your partner moving about the sleep? or whatever it is that you want to test.
Apart from all the above, sleepycat has a social side. For every 10 sales they make, they donate 1 sale.
- 30 day trial period
- 10 Years manufacturer warranty for the mattress
- Easy carry and delivery
- Dense and high-quality memory foam used and thus increased comfort.
- Ideal for back pains and neck pains too.
- Great motion isolation. No more disturbance of your partner tossing around in sleep.
- Incredibly helpful customer support
- Mattress and the memory foam layer could be a bit thicker than just 6 inches.
Buy Now From Amazon
4. Sleepyhead Memory Foam Mattress
A mattress that allows you to test it for 100 days before you decide on keeping it forever. The sleepyhead queen sized mattress is a medium firm mattress that’s made out of 6 inches thick Memory Foam.
Ideal for people who are looking for a luxury product which is soft yet medium hard for a comfortable sleep. It is also good for people who wish to control their back pain but may not be ideal for people of the older generation.
Sleepyhead memory foam mattress comes in a total of 4 layers apart from a sturdy base. The base is filled with layer 1 of support foam which provides a good bounce feel to the mattress. Upon this, the second layer of memory foam (responsive) is inserted. A high-quality comfort foam upon these two layers adds a good feel when jumped on the bed. Memory foam mattresses are the have great air flow. In order to facilitate this airflow, the mattress is covered with a high quality removable and washable fabric that’s breathable.
This mattress has a good motion isolation factor. This means that no matter how much you turn or toss in sleep, the bed on your partner’s side is unaffected. Also, this mattress is really helpful in inducing deep sleep. Our reviewers found out that they had 6 hours worth deep sleep when prior it was about 2 or 3 hours a stretch.
While the mattress is comfortable for families to use, we found that it is not that great of a deal for back pain though advertised as such. We suggest you test this mattress for a while. Moreover, if you do not like it, they always have their 100 day testing period.
We also felt that the colour of the product can be anything other than white as white is easily spoilt. Apart from that, the build quality of the mattress is great and even has a 10-year manufacturer warranty. You can claim this if you find any issues with the quality of the product.
- 100 day trial period.
- 10 Year warranty
- Medium soft and comfortable mattress.
- Breathable and high-quality outer fabric
- More levels of foam add to good density and thus more comfort.
- The outer cover can be easily removed and washed.
- Great Motion Isolation Factor. You cannot disturb your partner by tossing around in bed.
- May not truly work for orthopaedic pains as advertised.
- White bedding may be an issue as it can easily be damaged.
Buy Now From Amazon
5.Sleepwell Medium soft and Hard Dual Mattress
Next on our list is a Sleepwell product. The Sleepwell SleepX is a dual mattress which means that it is both soft and hard. Furthermore, this mattress comes in as a forerunner for quality in the budget mattress range.
One side, it is medium-soft whereas, on the flip side, it is Hard; making it good for spine alignment and soothing back pain. The mattress is 198.12 cm long, 182.88 cm wide and has a 6 inches depth. Perfectly suited for a double-sized bed frame.
The hard part of the mattress is out of high-quality Rebonded foam whereas the soft side of the mattress is made out of foam material. The upholstery (the cover material) is premium fabric which is quilted and knitted.
With the added thickness and soft PU foam in that quilting, the mattress is comfortable enough and gives you a plush feel. The side walls are quilted with Airmesh fabric which increases the perforation and thus air circulation keeping the mattress.
Ready to use once out of the box, Sleepwell provides a 3 years manufacturer’s warranty on the product.
- Very economical and budget-friendly
- Dual mattresses which are soft on one side and firm on the other.
- 6 inches thickness
- Rebonded foam used for the hard side
- Premium quilted upholstery used
- High-quality PU foam used
- 3 years manufacturer’s warranty
- Comfortable sleep but not suggested for people with back pain.
Buy Now From Amazon
6. Comforto Duplex | Firm and Soft Dual Comfort Mattress
It is difficult to find a budget mattress that also has dual comfort (Soft and Firm). The Comforto Duplex is perhaps the best budget-friendly and premium quality mattress in the list.
As the mattress comes with dual comfort, it is ideal for people with back pain (the hard/firm side) and for people looking to relax and relieve stress (Soft side).
One side of the mattress is stuffed and layered with a dense support firm. This shall be the medium hard/firm side. Now the other side of the mattress is filled with dense soft foam. This will be the medium softer side. These both layers are now closed and knit together with a plush and premium quality quilt fabric.
The thickness of the mattress is available from 4 inches to 5 and 6 inches too. The dimensions of the mattress can be easily customized and even you can talk to the customer service representatives for different dimensions if needed.
Comforto Duplex is made with fine raw materials and this is evident in the durability of the mattress. The outer design of the mattress is smooth-edged giving it a premium look and feel. This has to be the case as the company has been in the mattress business for about 35 years now.
Coming to the warranty for the product, you will be getting 11 years of warranty in this. This includes 2 years of full warranty and the remaining would be a pro-rated warranty. I.e, after 2 years of full warranty on the product, as the time increases, its warranty value decreases. You cannot get the full amount but shall get a certain (significant of course) percentage of refund/ credit on new purchases.
- Budget Friendly
- Dual Comfort makes it ideal for people of all ages and for people with back pain too.
- 11 years warranty available
- Finest quality Raw materials used.
Buy Now From Amazon
7. Springtek Ortho Pocket Spring
An ortho foam mattress that comes with pocket springs and whatever the size you want it to come in. The Springtek Ortho Mattress ends your search for a firm, foam based and bouncy mattress.
Medium firm, this mattress is ideal to help you with your back pain and also neck pain. Ideal for older people but manageable for all ages.
This mattress can be used on either side. That means you can turn it to any side to be used for the same results and comfort.
The comfort secrets of Springtek mattress lie in the 4 layers (including the base). The outer layers are filled with minute pocket spring based foam casings. Above this is a layer of felt support and upon this is is a quilt foam support is placed. All the layers are then topped and closed with a premium quilt knitted onto them.
Warranty for springtek is tricky yet funny. The duration of the warranty is equal to the thickness of the mattress ordered. For instance, if you order a 6 inches thick mattress, you get 6 years of manufacturers warranty. But no-where did we see any compromise in terms of quality of the mattress.
- Good fit for people of all ages.
- Pocket Springs for a good bouncy feel
- 4 layer based mattress
- 6,8 and 10 years warranty available (Depending on the inches of mattress ordered)
- Claims to be medium firm but we have experienced it to be a little soft but manageable.
Buy Now From Amazon
8. BlissRent Foam Mattress
BlissRent is a king-sized foam mattress that does not use any specifically mentioned type of foam but ends up being a mattress of high-quality.
The mattress is 78 inches long and 72 inches wide with a 6 inches depth size for the king-size and they seem to be having almost a total of 40+ customizable dimensions to choose from depending on the specific dimensions of your bed frame.
As mentioned before, it is filled with foam and most of this foam is hard foam. Stuffing up on this hard foam makes this mattress lean towards the medium-firm side of the softometer spectrum.
Shipped to you directly from the factory, the product is moderately good for your back and proper body alignment. Moreover, BlissRent takes in customization requests and once you place the order, you can call them up for any customization you want on it.
The only drawbacks we observed were that the foam is a little hard and given the pricing, could include better perforations as the mattress lacks breathability. Also, it offers just 1 year of manufacturer’s warranty
- Good quality medium firm foam mattress
- Available in over 40+ direct customization and additionally, the factory can customize it to your needs.
- Very satisfied customer base
- Offers only 1-year manufacturer’s warranty
Buy Now From Amazon
9. Extrasleep Coir Mattress for Orthopedic Care
Next on our list is Extra Sleep, a coir based mattress with 5 inches thickness and perfect for back support and orthopedic issues. What stands interesting is that Extra Sleep claims to use Artificial Intelligence to model the sleep of an individual in order to design their mattresses.
The mattress is 83 inches long and 41 inches wide. Extra Sleep is a triple-layered mattress. The first layer is a premium quality quilted foam.
The second layer, as mentioned, it is made out of coir and the material used is authentic and lasts for a long time. This coir is from natural rubberised coir layers which offer support to your back and maintain a correct posture when you lay down on it.
Apart from the coir and the foam layer, the final layer is made out of PU foam that works to enhance the support to the mattress. This supports forms to be the base for the mattress and provides ample comfort and promotes peaceful sleep.
Coming to the cover material, it is pure and premium quilted cotton fabric. While it may not have the level of perforation as a memory foam mattress but has decent breathability and passage of air while maintaining the right temperature on it.
Available in about 20+ different customization, Extra Sleep provides you with 5 years of manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase. What is also interesting is that Extra Sleep has had a consistent good ratings and reviews on their mattress by satisfied customers.
- Highly rated and customer satisfied product
- Very reasonably priced
- 5-inch thickness coir and foam-based mattress
- Triple-Layered mattress
- The first layer is premium foam,
- Second layer is natural rubberised coir for better back and spine comfort
- The final layer is PU Foam for enhanced support to the mattress
- 20+ Customization
- Quilted fabric cotton cover that is breathable to a certain extent
- 5 years manufacturer’s warranty
- Perfect within the budget but does not have a model with memory foam
Buy Now From Amazon
10. Shagun 4-inch Double Size Foam Mattress
Next up on the list is an economic choice of Double Cot size foam mattress.
Ideal for bachelors or 2 member families, the Shagun double sized mattress comes with a general 4-inch thick foam. This can be placed on a double cot bed meant for two.
The mattress is not soft and is of a medium hard build. Hence it is ideal for people of all ages to sleep on. The foam used in the mattress is pre-pressed in order to get this hard build. This mattress is incredibly light in weight and can be easily shifted from point A to point B with little efforts.
Shagun also offers a wide range of customizations apart from the 4-inch thickness. With different height and breadth parameters, it also has different thickness choices. If directly contacted with the team, custom specifications are also available.
The product, however, comes with a minor quality issue of the foam used. Though not of top-notch quality, this foam may lead to sagging of the bed over the years of usage. But this seems to be a common issue among budget mattresses.
This mattress comes with a manufacturer warranty period of 5 years. You can claim any damages associated with the product within this period.
- Economic and Budget friendly
- Firm type hence ideal for all ages
- Light in Weight
- Comfortable and customisations available with the seller
- Found minor quality issues here and there
- Not an ideal pick for long term usage.
Buy Now From Amazon
Buying Guide: Pick the right mattresses that fulfil your requirements:
Those who know how sleep can affect daily life will understand how important it is to choose the right mattress. Choosing one mattress among hundreds of others based on material, comfort and price- definitely not an easy task. So here is the easiest mattress buying guide for you. It includes the followings-
- Your sleeping position
- Suitable mattress type
- Mattress Size
- Body Weight
- Other Qualities of a Mattress
1. What position do you sleep in?
Everybody has their favorite sleeping position. Some like to sleep on their sides while some prefer sleeping on their back or stomach. Now, your sleeping position has a lot to do with your mattress. How? Each sleeping position has different needs like support, firmness, comfort, etc. If you choose the wrong mattress you don’t get your desired sleep. If you have already noticed pain in your neck, back or hip, chances are that you are not using the right kind of mattress. And you need to change it soon.
Here is your ideal mattress choice according to your sleeping style.
|Sleeping styles||Suitable Mattress|
|Stomach Or Back Sleepers||Firm Mattress|
|Side Sleepers||Soft to medium-firm mattress|
|Combination Sleepers||Medium Firm Mattress|
A proper mattress with pressure relief becomes more important for side sleepers. This is because when you sleep on your sides you put the pressure of your body entirely on your hips and shoulders. You need something that will sink your hips and shoulders a little. Something soft to medium firm will be appropriate.
A memory foam mattress will be best for you. This will maintain proper spine alignment while relieving pressure from the neck and back areas.
Indians generally have wide hips and heavier chests. These parts naturally bear more pressure than the rest of the body. When you sleep on your stomach they accumulate even more pressure. So you should not opt for something too soft otherwise you will sink too deep. And you will lose proper spine alignment.
Your mattress must have ideal firmness to stand the pressure. Foam or air-bag mattress is better for stomach sleepers who prefer softer mattresses. They will also conform to your body curves giving proper support to the back.
Stomach sleepers also change their sleeping positions a lot. So it’s better to avoid spring mattress if you sleep with your partner. Or else you will disturb the other person as you move during your sleep at nights.
Firmness and support are two crucial factors for people who sleep on their back. If you sleep on a bed that is too soft your body will sink. This will cause pain in the back areas after using it for a while. Your ideal mattress must support the lumbar spine curve. Else it can result in prolonged back problems. Choose something soft enough that prevent forming pressure points but firm enough to provide adequate support to your back.
Amemory foam mattressprovides maximum comfort to the back sleepers. It will conform to the natural spine alignment while providing softness and comfort. You can choose anything butavoid a spring mattress.
By the words “combination sleepers” we mean those who change their sleeping positions between back, sides, and stomach. If you are one of them you need a good balance between comfort and support. A medium-firm mattress will be your perfect match.
We suggest you opt for ahybrid or gel bed. It will let you sink a little while you are on your side, give support when you are on your back and prevent sinking too deep as you sleep on your stomach.
2. Do you sweat during your sleep?
This is the problem with many of us. And it is important to note that some mattresses feel hotter than the others. Usually, the soft and conforming mattresses don’t allow much air to pass through the sheets. They hold more heat compared to any firm mattress.
Some mattress materials such as foam trap the body heat. If you naturally sleep hot then it’s better to avoid such materials.Opt for an innerspring or hybrid mattress. They let more air to pass and sleep comparatively cooler.
3. Indian Mattress Types
This is probably the most confusing part. As there are not 2 or 3 types of mattresses, there are many. And each of them differs a lot from each other. In India, you will find the following type of mattresses.
- Coir Mattress
- Spring Mattress
- Memory Foam Mattress
- Foam Mattress
- Air bed
- Gel bed or Water bed
a) Coir Mattress:
Invented in India, Coir Mattresses are the most economical and eco-friendly mattresses available around the world.
Made out of dried coconut coir, these mattresses are firm in nature and are incredibly affordable. They are made up of fibres hence there would be no motion transfer from one part of the bed to another. If you are someone who constantly shifts in your sleep, these mattresses are a great go to. You won’t be disturbing your partner in their sleep.
As the coir is made up of coconut, these mattresses do not have proper elasticity. Hence prolonged usage will lead to the coir being pressed down and thus the sagging of the mattress. They also may be a bit uncomfortable to sleep on than foam or latex mattresses.
The average lifespan of a coir mattress is 5-6 years.
- No motion transfer
- Firm and thick base.
- May cause a prickly sensation if the sheet/cover is thinner
- Gets sagged down over usage for years
- May alleviate your back pain due to its firmness
- Lower lifespan of the mattress
b) Spring Mattress:
Spring mattresses are the traditional mattresses. As the name says it has metal springs inside and a nice cushion cover outside.
Because of the springs they are very bouncy. And because they are bouncy you face the problem of “motion transfer”.
Whenever the other person moves the bed makes some movement. And it can disturb your sleep too. However, some brands are applying a foam layer on the top to prevent motion transfer to some extent.
The best part of owning a spring mattress is that they sleep cooler. Due to the gaps between the springs and the cover they provide maximum airflow through the sheets. This helps in regulating body temperature.
These coil mattresses are comfortable to persons suffering from back pain and other position related discomforts.
But the problem with a spring or a coil mattress is the metal spring cutting through the outer sheet covering. This may seem hazardous. Hence always look for strong quilt type or even better fabric for spring and coil based mattresses.
They also makegood choice for the couplesas they are bouncy. They are usually more expensive than coir mattresses and also last much longer.
- Mid-Budget-friendly prices
- Bouncy feels
- Ideal for moderate backaches.
- Not ideal for longer durability
- Exhibit motion transfer. You can get disturbed while your partner moves about in his/her sleep.
- If buying of low quality, then chances are the springs break and tear through the upper fabric
c) Memory Foam Mattress:
These are an innovation over the regular foam mattress. And these cost more. Memory foam mattresses use a different material called viscoelastic polyfoam.
It is denser which gives that tight hug feeling. It retains the pressure as you press it and regains its original shape after you leave.
Itconforms to each body curvethat is pressed into it. These can remember the imprint of your body shape for a few seconds. Hence it is called “memory foam”.
The greatest quality of a memory foam mattress is themotion isolation capability.This ensures a peaceful sleep for both the partners. As the tossing and turning by one never bother the other.
They aregood for both side/back and stomach sleepers.
- Ideal for people suffering from spinal or shoulder pains.
- The moulding and conforming ability of the mattress makes it the best pick for side or single position sleepers.
- These mattresses are temperature regulator and can perfectly juggle the air flow
- The build material is polyurethane, hence it can repel off any dust and allergies as such that effects the mattress and you too.
- Though good for spinal or shoulder pain, not ideal for older generations and severe back pain as the mattress is too soft.
- Not great for people who like to constantly toss around in sleep.
- Can be a bit smelly, Better use mattress perfumes to counter it.
d) Foam mattress:
These are the most popular and cost-effective mattresses found in India. They use the regular foam which is less dense.
They do not provide the cuddling feeling like the memory foam. But they are soft and provide adequateback support. They are good forpeople with back pains.
They also havemotion isolation capabilitylike the memory foam but they are a lot cheaper.
But the problem with foam mattress is its sagging. Many foam mattresses tend to sag down towards the edges due to the foam ageing over a period of time.
The main issue with the foam and memory foam mattresses is that they retain the heat. If you naturally sleep hot they may not be the best option of you.
- Ideal for backaches,hip pains and neck-pains etc.,
- High Durability
- Temperature regulation. Keeps you cool in summer and warm in winters.
- Exhibits motion isolation. No more getting disturbed by your partner due to their tossing in sleep.
- If low quality, foam mattresses can get sagged down.
- Sensitive to high heat.
Made out of either natural or synthetic rubber based materials, Latex mattresses are alternatives to foam mattresses. They provide the same amount of bounciness and memory foam properties within them.
Latex mattresses are made out of many polyfoams and other synthetic materials to provide different properties. A few are extra smooth and soft while a few are hard depending on the proportionate mixture of these materials.
These mattresses are ideal to relieve shoulder pains, backaches and are incredibly awesome for people who wish to sleep in a single position for a longer time.
They are also temperature regulated and have a higher lifespan (more than 8 years typically) than average mattresses. This is due to the fact that they are far denser than a standard mattress.
Latex comes in two major types. Dunlop latex and Talalay latex. Dunlop latex has a heavier base and is used for bases of major mattresses. The Talalay latex is a mixture of both lighter and heavier froth of the foam.
- Have great bouncy feel to them like spring mattresses.
- Can be either soft or hard depending on the requirements
- Temperature regulated and do not heat up easily
- Longer life span for the mattresses due to their denser body composition
- Can help ease body aches and back pains along with shoulder pains too.
- Expensive out of all mattresses
- The rubber used may lead to some odour forming. Use mattress perfumes to counter it.
f) Hybrid Mattress:
A hybrid mattress combines 2 or 3 mattresses into one. You can have multiple benefits from a hybrid mattress at an affordable price.
You will often see a hybrid mattress made of latex and memory foam or latex and innerspring. This allows you to get the benefits of both latex and foam. Like, the conforming of memory foams and cooling of a latex.
You can also take the advantages of a high-quality mattress as a smaller layer, memory foam at the top, for an example.
They are multipurpose and work for anyone. These are the best choice for thecombination sleeperswho change their sleeping postures at night.
- Good support
- Medium bounce
Air mattresses are also known as air beds or blow-up beds. They are inflatable or tire like which means you need to pump them up with air.
The majority of them are made with polyvinyl chloride or PVC. But recently some brands are using rubber or urethane plastic. These are better versions.
You can roll them up and store them easily inside your cupboard. Hence, they are very popular forcampingand as temporarybeds for guests.
It lets you adjust the mattress thickness so anyone from any weight group can use it. They are good forbedridden peopleas they prevent bedsores.
- Cheap and Easily transportable
- Can be used by people with lower back aches and bedridden patients
- Does not sag often of much
- Does not absorb heat from your body. Moreover, water beds help dissipate heat when used in summer and keep you cool.
- Are prone to get punctured and damaged easily.
- They are one side flocked. I.e, one side used to sleep. Advisable that you find something that is flocked and usable on two sides.
h) Gel beds or Water beds:
Some memory foam mattresses are infused with gel. If you don’t like sleeping on a foam mattress or have foam allergies these can be a better option for you.
They are engineered with better airflow and cooling capabilities. They are good forpeople with arthritis.
- Good support
- Good for people with back pains
- Not easily available
4. Your Ideal Mattress Size
Indian sizes are different from that of American. The following are the list of sizes that are available and are common in Indian households. These sizes correspond to the bed frame/ cot size that you own.
a) Single Size:
Sized in (72 X 36) inches to (75 X 36) inches, these mattresses are ideal for single cotbed frames. These may seem a little cramped up for an adult but are ideal and big enough for kids to feel comfortable.
b) Double Size:
Sized at (72 X 48) to (75 X 60) inches, these mattresses are essentially almost the double size of a single mattress. And are ideal for 1 heavy individual or 2 normal sized individuals. People who share a bed and are frequent travellers opt for such mattresses.
c) Queen Size:
Sized at (72 X 60) to (78 X 60) inches, this mattress is ideal for 2 large adults to sleep comfortably without any hassle. Most 3 member families tend to buy this (2 parents 1 kid) but that usually isn’t a smart choice. You tend to get cramped up or do not have enough space to move about.
d) King Size:
The largest size in India (unless you have your mattress custom made). It is sized at (72 X 72) to (78 X 72) inches and is perfect for a 3 member family (2 adults and 1 kid). You can even go for it if you are a four-member family too. It may be a bit cramped up, however.
5. Mattress Firmness
What is firmness? It is the feeling when you lie down on a bed. It tells how hard or soft the bed is. It is measured with a scale ranked from 1 to 10. Where 1 refers to an extra soft bed and 10 is the hardest with little to zero conforming.
The ideal firmness for your mattress mainly depends on the two things- your body weight and your sleeping position. You should know the comfort offered by your mattress and the firmness are two different things. Comfort doesn’t always mean a softer bed. The bed you will find most conformable to sleep in again depends on your weight, sleeping style, mattress material, pressure points, etc.
Here is a table to define firmness more accurately.
|Firmness Level||Mattress Type||Qualities|
|1||Extra Soft||High sinkage most conforming|
|2 to 3||Soft bed||Sinks and conforms to an extent|
|4||Medium soft||Sinks conforms lesser than the previous|
|5||Medium||Balanced sinkage and support|
|6||Medium firm||Sinks very little, average conforming|
|7 to 8||Firm||More support, minimal conform|
|9 to 10||Extra firm||No sinkage, little to zero conform|
6. Mattress for Your Body Weight
Heavy people generally sleep hot and sink a lot more on softer mattresses compared to lighter people. This is why a firmer mattress becomes more comfortable for a heavy sleeper.
Similarly, people on the lighter side find it more comfortable sleeping on a softer bed. If you are someone in the middle you are lucky as most of the mattresses are designed based on your body type.
Here is a table to simplify your choice depending on your body weight.
|Weight Group||Your Best Choice||Firmness Level|
|Light ( less than 58 kg)||Softer beds which conform very closely||Soft – 2-3|
Medium Soft -4
Medium – 5
|Medium ( 58 to 104 kg)||Medium soft beds. A good balance between soft padding and support||Medium Soft -4|
|Heavy ( more than 104 kg)||Firmer beds which offer maximum firmness and minimal conforming.||Medium Firm -6|
Firm- 7 to 8
For example, innerspring and hybrid mattresses are more popular among heavyweight people. It is because they are less conforming and more supportive. But if you have other preferences just make sure you get enough support and your spine doesn’t get off the alignment.
Like heavyweight people who sleep on the sides can choose a foam or latex mattress to avoid pressure build-up. This is fine unless you choose something that is too soft and feels uncomfortable to move.
7. Some Other Qualities of a Mattress
This is an important factor in mattresses. The thickness of any mattress lies between 5 and 15 inches. The average mattress has about 10 inches thickness.
The thickness of the mattress is dependent on the total weight that it would be bearing. If you are heavy, you would feel comfortable in a thick mattress compared to a thin individual who would feel comfortable in a small mattress.
Conforming is the ability of the mattress to adjust according to your body shape. It helps in proper alignment of the spine and keeps you comfortable. This also stops pressure points from developing.
Remember that a softer bed may not be conforming. For example spring or coil mattress. It may feel soft and bouncy when you sit but can feel completely different as you sleep.
Usually, latex or memory foam mattresses conform the best to your body. Some advanced foam mattresses are made very soft but they still conform closely while offering the right amount of support.
- Motion Isolation:
Do you get bothered as your partner moves or changes their sleep positions? If yes then you must need to consider this factor.
As one of the partners moves the motion is travelled across the mattress surface and reaches to the other partner. This often causes sleep disruptions. Especially to them who are too sensitive to sounds and movements.
A good mattress with motion isolation prevents transferring of the motions by isolating them in small areas over the mattress surface. Your best choices areinnerspring mattress with pocket coils, coir mattress or memory foam mattress.
- Edge Support of a Mattress:
If you have noticed mattresses start sinking particularly from the edges. This is because people tend to sit more on the sides.
A mattress with edge support counteracts to this pressure. An edge support is a hard rigid framing covering the edges to prevent it from sinking. This type of framing is more important for a spring mattress.
Foam mattresses usually don’t have it. They are sturdier and can hold the pressure better. Some foam mattresses use denser foam to cover the sides for even better results. They may or may not look like regular edge support. Some even have artificial edge support just because people like it that way.
Are you too sensitive to noise? As some of the mattresses are famous for making a lot of noise. This is common with the spring/coil mattresses without innerspring pockets. They make an irritating squeaking noise as you move during the sleep.
Usually, foam, latex or the coir mattresses don’t make any disturbing noise. But the airbags mattress with electrical components and air pockets deals a lot with noise.
Support is referred to as the ability to provide a flat surface. A mattress that has good support keeps your pelvic religion properly aligned without sinking on the heavier parts. This is crucial if you have back pain because doctors will often recommend you to sleep on a flat and even surface.
All mattresses provide maximum support when they are new. But it tends to loose with time. Generally, spring, latex or gel mattresses losses its support sooner than others.
The durability of matters means how long it can be used. An average mattress should last you 7 years. But this will depend on your usage and the material that is used in the mattress.
If you have a baby at home accept that it won’t last for so long. The urine stain, spills and other body fluid such as vomit can reduce the life span of a mattress. But some mattresses naturally wear off sooner than others.
For example, the coir mattresses have a shorter lifespan than a memory foam mattress where the latex and the air bed mattress live the highest.
Here is a table which shows how long you can expect a mattress to last.
Almost all mattresses emit some non-toxic odorless gas when they are new. But only the latex and the memory foam mattresses give out an unpleasant odor. This usually dissipates within a couple of days if it is kept in an airy room. But there are some exceptionally strong odors which take much longer to completely disappear.
Mattresses are heavy to move objects and tire you out easily. A typical king size mattress weighs about 45 -50kgs. Hybrid and Latex model mattresses are heavy in nature.
If you hate carrying around heavy stuff and if you are a frequent traveller and shifter, go for something lite. Airbed, Foam and Spring are lighter alternatives.
How do I know when to replace my mattress?
Consider replacing your mattress if
- You are using it for more than 7 years:
It is not the case with every mattress type. But it is a general rule of thumb. The replacement will depend on the material and your sleep habits. A latex or foam mattress lasts the longest up to 7-10 years. While a coir mattress may need a replacement after using it for 3-4 years.
- You are having disturbed sleep or waking up with aches and pains:
Some mattresses continue to provide comfort and support as they do when they are new. Sadly some don’t. If you are waking up during sleeps or having body aches that never have bothered you before, then you should seriously think of replacing the current mattress. Don’t hesitate even if they are fairly new or the manufactures said it would last some more years.
- Your mattress has a deep indentation or sagged too much
Mattress sagging is nothing new. They all sag after using them for a couple of years. Indentations also develop on the areas which come under heavy pressure. But, sagging and indentations to an extent where it becomes uncomfortable to sleep requires you to change your mattress.
How to set up a memory foam mattress
Foam mattresses usually come in a rolled up packaging and it has become a trend lately to choose a rolled up bedding delivered to your doorstep. The mattress is sent in by compressed in the factory and then rolled up into a neat package to be delivered and assembled by the buyers.
Step 1: Open the casing and take out the rolled mattress.
Step 2: Spread out the mattress on the bed and make sure it fills in all the corners.
Step 3:Take small scissors or a knife. Most sellers of foam mattresses provide with a small opener which is available with the packaging.
Step 4: Cut open the plastic around the mattress packaging exposing the inner mattress to air.
Step 5:Wait for just a few minutes as the mattress absorbs the air surrounding to it and inflates to its original intended size.
Common Myths about Mattresses?
Mattresses might seem like any other ordinary furniture. You may sometimes get lost in the craze on why there is such a big deal about mattresses. But trust me, it IS a big deal. With its deal are associated with many myths that come along. We decided to demystify some of the myths about mattresses.
Myth 1: A soft mattress is all I need forever to sleep in peace.
No. Soft mattresses are good for comfort and relaxation. But they are not always the case. They may not be ideal for people with back pain.
Myth 2: I just need to buy the hardest mattress there is to cure my Back pain.
A big no. Mattresses need to be equal amounts of soft and a bit firm too. Back pain obviously requires a mattress that is towards the firm end but a totally firm mattress would be worse than sleeping on a stone. Choose a mattress that is firm yet soft for use.
Myth 3: I need to wait till my mattress has sagged out entirely before I buy a new one
Once a mattress begins to lose its elasticity, it begins to lose its charm and helpful nature. Actually, it will do more harm to you than good. Sagged mattress cause back pains and may result in an irregular sleep pattern. Better to invest in good nights sleep than to a hospital. It is better to have a change of mattress every 8 or 9 years.
Myth 4: Memory foam is the most comfortable and best mattress there is
A mattress is best only when it suits your specific requirements. Memory foam is comfortable for most but it may not be ideal for people who constantly suffer from back pains.
Myth 5: Foam mattresses with gels are cool and temperature regulators.
Gels in mattresses are placed in order for better regulation of temperature. It is ideal in dissipating heat and keeps you cool at most times.
Myth 6: I should always flip my mattress every few months to keep it from damage.
As we also mentioned in our tips below, this is true only for mattresses which are the same on both sides. But you cannot expect this to work for dual comfort or single-sided spring mattresses. Dual comfort needs to be flipped only when you need the other comfort and single-sided have to stay as they are designed. One-sided.
Myth 7: Washing my bed sheets, linens and outer casings are enough to keep my mattress clean.
I’m sure you have thought of the billion microbes that live in your bed. In order to keep your bed clean, clean the sheets. Yes. But also clean the mattress as a whole. You can use various methods of cleaning to remove stains or keep the mattress clean which is explained below.
How to clean and maintain a mattress?
Cleaning a mattress is a bit of a task. You cannot clean it like any other garment or shirt. Mattresses are even prone to various stains such as coffee, urine, blood etc., It is not like you can dip it in a bucket of water and call it a day.
Depending on the material type, type of stains and availability of resources, cleaning methods change.
1.Using a Vacuum cleaner:
- Clear out all the clothes and other casings present on the bed.
- Take out the mattress from its frame and then place it towards an isolated place.
- Start vacuuming it from all directions
2. Remove stains with Baking soda, the natural disinfectant
- Baking soda is a natural disinfectant.
- Take a small cup of baking soda.
- Spray it all over the mattress, particularly in areas of stain.
- Now scrub the mattress all over.
- Areas with stain need to be scrubbed with more baking soda.
- Let the mattress sit for a while
- Allowing the soda soaked mattress sit for a while makes the oil and dirt to attach themselves to the baking soda molecules.
- Now use the vacuum cleaner over the soda soaked mattress
- The vacuum will clear out the odours along with the humidity present in the mattress
Other types of stains removal:
1. How to remove Blood stains:
- Take a small rag and pour about 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, some liquid soap and some table salt.
- Pour this mixture onto the stain and allow it to sit for a while.
- Now use the rag and rub in a circular motion till the stain goes away.
- Best results, use a white rag
2. How to remove Urine stains:
- Take the same solution as above. A tablespoon of Hydrogen Peroxide, liquid soap and some table salt.
- Use a white rag and dab the solution in the stained area
- Let it sit for a while as it goes away.
- Now use some detergent and rub the area with the detergent.
- Use a duster or a vacuum cleaner to clear off the powdered detergent and watch as the stain becomes spotless.
3. How to remove Vomit stains:
- You would need ammonia for this
- Open the windows and doors as to not let the rooms smell.
- Pour undiluted and concentrated ammonia onto the stain.
- Now use wet cloth and rub away the stained area clearly.
- After the vomit stain has been removed, sprinkle some baking soda onto the top
- Now rub it with another dry rag and then vacuum to remove the soda powder off the mattress.
- The baking soda is used to attenuate the strong odour of ammonia.
Tips for Longer Life of Mattresses
- Wash the linens and outer casings regularly. Once every month should do it.
- Use a mattress protector if possible. There are even waterproof protectors available which can increase the life of your mattress to many folds.
- Flip the mattress to the other side once every 6 months to maintain the consistency of the foam/coir/coil. Most mattresses work the same on two sides (unless you have a dual comfort mattress or a spring mattress).
- Keep your pets away from the beds. Dogs or Cats with their paws can slowly deteriorate the string consistency. It will cause the threading to become loose and thereby decrease the life of the mattress.
- Avoid getting into bed barefoot. Try wearing a pair of socks for extra comfort or wash your hands and feet before getting into bed
- Make sure you have the correct mattress that fits perfectly with your bed frame. Fitting an over large mattress in a small bed might seem comfortable or the chalta hain style. But in the longer run, it will decrease the life of the mattress considerably.
- In case if you are an airbed or waterbed mattress, owner/user, make sure that you are deflating the beds often. Stagnant air can cause problems not just to you but the mattress as well. It may pop out and burst if used for longer durations. Keep deflating it and inflating it from time to time.
- Know the weight capabilities of mattresses before buying. Foam and Latex mattresses are capable of holding on greater weights. Increased weight can decrease the mattress’s life.
- Try to get a waterproof and easily washable bed sheet or cover casings if you can. They protect your mattress from any stains or any other fluids/humidity causing damage to the mattress.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Is my mattress causing me back pain?
It is so possible. A mattress that is too firm creates pressure points. They cause pain in certain areas such as hips, shoulders, upper back. If you sleep on your side you may experience severe pain in shoulders if your mattress is that bad. And if you sleep on a too-soft mattress and experiencing some sort of back pain it can be related to your mattress. Maybe it is not providing proper support and your spine alignment is off from its actual position.
For aching backs, the best option is anorthopedic mattress. They are available in India. Any doctor will suggest it to you. However, if you want something that everyone use go for a memory foam mattress. They are medium-firm which is recommended for you. They will conform to your body proving support to the spine curve.
Firstly, it is important to note that you should sleep sidewise. Avoid sleeping on your back and never on your stomach. The ideal mattress for you should not be too firm or too soft. Choose something in the middle as you need good support and greater comfort. Go for foam or amemory foam mattress or a latex mattress. But strictly avoid the coir and spring mattresses.
Avoid mattresses which use PFU or Polyurethane foam. They are mostly used in foam or memory foam mattresses. Some chemicals added in the foam during the making process can be harmful to the children.
This foam starts breaking down into smaller particles with time. When they come in contact with air they might cause coughing, headache, etc. The best type ofmattress material for kids is latex. They are made with natural elements. Provides great support as well as comfort to their undergrowth bodies.
The mattresses accumulate dust, dust mites, pollen, pet hair, etc over time. If you are having allergic reactionsshift to a hypo-allergic mattress. The outer layers of these mattresses are made with anti-microbial factors which don’t allow the accumulation of dust. They are also good for people with asthma.
Reversible mattresses are two-sided. It has one firmer and one softer side. You can use any of them depending on your requirement.
It doesn’t refer to an in-built pillow. A Pillow top mattress means a very soft cushioning layer on the top. It provides extra comfort to the sleeper. It is often mentioned as “extra soft” on the product details.
* Always use a mattress protector
* Change the mattress liners once a weak
* Get your pets a separate bed
* Let it soak sunlight
* Don’t jump on the beds
* Follow manufactures cleaning directions
Mattresses are essential investments. All the work a Human does is to get enough food and a peaceful sleep at the end of the day. With over 20 years warranty and the usage of best possible materials for longer durability, our research points towards the WakeFit orthopaedic mattress as the best pick.
What do you think? Do you have any questions pertaining to mattresses that you wish to ask our team of experts? Please write your views and questions as comments so that we can get back to you as fast as possible.
Top 10 Best Mattress Brands in India
Sleep is one of the most important aspect of every living creature’s life. A man with a proper sleep is said to be a man with all luxuries. It doesn’t matter what is your age, who you are, male or female, all humans need a great sleep and to have a great sleep, you need a great mattress. In India the variety of mattress available is too high and the industries are being flourished these days. Not for the use in the country, but also these mattresses are also being exported to several other countries. Now, let us see the top ten best mattress brands in India 2019 that are said to be the best selling and very popular across the country.
This company has two types of collects to suit the requirements of the customer. They are comfort care and health rest. These mattresses are designed by taking into account of medical advice. They are designed to relieve the pressure points and eliminate the body aches. They offer comfort because of this luxurious design which reduces tossing and turning and makes sure that a deep sleep is guaranteed. These mattress are highly hygienic and also breathe through so highly beneficial for those who are prone to allergies.
9. King Koil:
King Koil sleep systems limited is the company which markets these mattresses in India as a part of furniture manufacturing company. They are one among the leading group in the industries in furniture manufacturing. With extensive research, this brand has been successful in producing a very comfortable and healthy sleep support system. They have a wide variety of selection based on the requirements that include the popular series like perfect solution, spine support, perfect contour and natural response.
It is one of the oldest mattress companies which has been prelavant over than a decade. The company being owned by real innerspring technologies private limited and is considered as one of the top selling mattress in India. They have wide range of products such as European, organic latex mattress, galaxy bonnet pro spring mattress, sleepzone pocket mattress, sleepzone spring mattress, memory foam mattress are some of its popular products.
This brand mainly aims at the smooth and good night sleep for the costumers. The mattress provides full prone support system to the body. The mattress is available in 4 different ranges namely rubberized coir mattress, luxury mattress, spring mattress and puff mattress. They are highly dependable manufacturing company and have been providing great products since decades.
6. MM Foam:
This company which was initially started in the year 1957 offers wide range of mattresses to the customers. It has seen a significant growth and development on the field of mattresses. The brand offers four different types of matresses based on the need of the customers that include sincere mattress, spring mattress, dual mattress and coir mattress.
This mattress which adjusts according to the contour of each person is manufactured by Dunlopillo, which was the first brand to introduce latex mattress to the world in the year 1931. Compared to a lot of other mattress this one seems more flexible and also elastic in nature provide more scope for comfortable sleep. Four major ranges that these mattresses are available in are TempSmart, Classic, Harmonize, and Fusion.
Tempur-Pedic is a matress company that has been in the market since years. Memory foam is used to make the mattress which supports the person’s body and maintains spine in the prop arrangement. Tempur mattresses are available in four collections- Cloud, Contour Collection, Weightless, and Simplicity.
Manufactured by Rubberized Coir Mattress Division of Kerala State Rubber Co-operative Limited, It provide great sleep for every age group especithis should be certainly prescribed for the old people. Rubco offers seven types of coir mattresses- Dosth, Safal, Yathri, Heal, Relief, Heaven and Hi-Tech. From conventional to high end luxurious to the specially manufactured orthopaedic mattresses, Rubco covers a wide arena of products.
2. Sleepwell :
A leading brand in the manufacturing of mattress, the option a buyer gets in this company is very high. You could opt from their range of mattresses under the categories Spring Fresh, Premium, Back support, and Flexi-puff. They use latest global technology to meet the needs of customers and also highly dependable.
There are made of using latest technology and high quality material and they offer us different types of mattress for the smooth and deep sleep for the use. They have mattress such as foam, spring, rubberized cpir. The best selling mattress Brand is most trust in India making it to reach top position in the list this is one of the most reliable product from ages
Thus, this is the top ten best mattress company in India by 2019. For all those who is seeking a great sleep and planning to buy a new mattresses the above list would surely guide you to the market and help you to find a proper mattress and also peaceful sleep.
From the available evidence, it seems fairly certain that the concept of the mattress originated during prehistoric times. By lying on piles of leaves, straw, and animal skins, early humans were able to sleep more comfortably and more soundly than they could have on hard surfaces. As greater numbers of people left a nomadic, hunting existence for a settled, agrarian lifestyle, primitive furnishings, including the bed, began to develop.
To a large extent the development of the mattress is closely linked with that of the bed. In many ancient societies, the bed was considered the most important piece of furniture in the household; often, it provided a central gathering place for dining and relaxing as well as sleeping. Over the centuries, bed frames became more elaborate for those who could afford luxury; however, mattresses themselves remained unsophisticated—and uncomfortable. Until the twentieth century, they generally consisted of lumpy pads filled with horse hair, cotton, or rags. Poorer people relied onticks—fabric sacks stuffed with straw, corn cobs, or other crop debris. In addition to offering an inconsistent texture, such primitive mattresses were difficult to clean—and they generally started out dirty, stuffed as they were with agricultural debris that often entered the pad or ticking with soil and insects. However, they offered one concrete advantage: made at home from cast-off farm goods, they were cheap. Even late in the nineteenth century when small local manufacturers began to produce mattresses commercially, the items remained inexpensive because early mattress makers continued to rely on extremely inexpensive stuffing (usually, unusable fabric remnants discarded by second-hand tailors).
Mattresses with stabilizing interior springs, probably the single most significant advance in mattress design, were first developed during the mid-1800s. By placing a set of uniform springs inside layers of upholstery, mattress manufacturers could imbue their product with a firm, resilient, and uniform texture. However, because so-called innerspring mattresses were expensive to manufacture, only luxury ships and hotels that could pass the cost along to their affluent patrons purchased them initially. It was not until after World War I that innerspring mattresses were mass-produced by Zalmon Simmons, Jr., the president of a company that had theretofore produced bedsteads. Despite the fact that Simmons asked 40 dollars—more than twice the cost of the finest horse hair mattress available at that time—for his innerspring mattress in 1926, his products proved so comfortable that millions of Americans purchased them.
To render potential customers more willing to spend what must have struck many as a small fortune on his innerspring mattress, Simmons promoted the advantages of a good night’s sleep. The effectiveness of this marketing strategy has only increased over the years, as subsequent research has confirmed that abundant, high-quality sleep constitutes a fundamental component of good health. Today’s sophisticated mattresses improve sleeping comfort in several ways. First, through a variety of enhanced innerspring designs, modern mattresses distribute the weight of the body over a broad area; this also helps to prevent differential wear on the mattress. In addition, mattresses offer surfaces of appropriate softness and flexibility to help keep the spine in its naturally curved position. However, contemporary mattress manufacturers carefully avoid excessively soft surfaces that would distort the position of the sleeper’s spine, resulting in discomfort or even pain.
Presently, the consumer demand for mattresses is fairly consistent. In 1990, approximately 16 million mattresses were sold in the United States. Together with foundations, mattresses accounted for about $4 billion in retail sales. With the exception of a few large companies, most mattress manufacturers are fairly small, community-based operations. Of the approximately 825 mattress factories across the United States, most are still owned and operated by the founding families.
Today, most mattresses are manufactured according to standard sizes. This standardization was initiated by the industry to resolve any dimensional discrepancies that might occur between companies that manufacture beds and companies that make mattresses. The sizes include the twin bed, 39 inches wide and 74 inches long; the double bed, 54 inches wide and 74 inches long; the queen bed, 60 inches wide and 80 inches long; and the king bed, 78 inches wide and 80 inches long.
The "core" of a typical mattress is the innerspring unit, a series of wire coils that are attached to one another with additional wire. The upholstery layers are affixed to the innerspring: the first, called theinsulator,is fitted directly onto the innerspring and prevents the next layer, thecushioning,from molding to the coils. While the insulator is fairly standard, the number of cushioning layers can vary widely in number, ranging from two to eight layers and from 1/4 inch to 2 inches (.63 to 5 centimeters) in thickness. Moving outward, the next component is theflanges,connecting panels that are attached to the mattress’s quilted cover with large, round staples calledhogs rings.The top, bottom, and side panels of the mattress are stitched together with border tape.
While a wide variety of springs are designed to accommodate special needs and situations, the four most commonly used coils are theBonnell,theOffset,theContinuous,and thePocket System.The Bonnell springs are hourglass-shaped and knotted at both ends. The Offset design is similarly hourglass-shaped, but its top and bottom are flattened to facilitate a hinging action between the coils. The Continuous innerspring consists of one extremely long strand of steel wire configured into S-shaped units. Finally, in the Pocket System, each coil is encased in a fabric casing that also connects it to neighboring coil-casing units.
A typical mattress contains between 250 and 1,000 coil springs, and mattresses that use fewer coils normally require a heavier gauge of wire. It is not uncommon for an innerspring unit to require as much as 2,000 linear feet (610 meters) of steel wire. The individual coils can be joined in several ways. One common method is to use helicals—corkscrew-shaped wires that run along the top and bottom of the springs, lacing the coils together. Rigid border wires are sometimes attached around the perimeters to stabilize the unit.
Most manufacturers also produce foundation mattresses or boxsprings that lie directly beneath the mattress, resting on the frame of the bed. One of the most common types of box spring foundations uses a spiked coil configuration, in which the springs are narrow at the bottom but spiral to a wider diameter at the top. While a spring system provides the most common type of boxspring support, torsion bars are also sometimes used. Other foundation mattresses contain no springs at all but consist of a built-up wooden frame.
Mattresses are presently made of many materials, both natural and synthetic. The innerspring, helical, and boxspring components are made from wire; the boxspring wire is usually of a heavier gauge than that used in the innerspring. The insulator consists of semi-rigid netting or wire mesh, and the cushioning layers can comprise a number of different materials including natural fiber, polyurethane foam, and polyester. The flanges are made of fabric, and the hogs rings of metal. Top, bottom, and side panels consist of a durable fabric cover quilted over a backing of foam or fiber, and the binding
Building mattress layers
- 1 Most mattress manufacturers subcontract the production of the innerspring unit to an outside firm that specializes in making springs. Once the completed spring unit is received and inspected, the workers manually apply the insulator. Next, they apply the cushioning layers that will determine the feel and comfort of the final product.
- 2 While the mattress is being "built up" in one part of the plant, the decorative cover that will serve as the exterior for the top, bottom and sides is being made in another part. Usually this cover is made on a giant quilting machine, which controls a multitude of needles that stitch the cover to a layer of backing material. The stitching chosen serves both useful and ornamental purposes, as it must prevent the mattress cover from slipping or creeping over the layers of cushioning in addition to creating a visually pleasing exterior.
- 3 Once the fabric is quilted, it is cut into panels that will fit the top and bottom of the mattress. The side panels are often cut from this same composite or made separately on a border machine. If side handles or vents are to be added, they are attached to the side panels before these are applied to the mattress.
Attaching the flanges
- 4 Specially modified sewing machines are used to attach the flanges to the top and bottom panels, and the hogs rings are stapled to the flanges. Everything is now ready for the closing operation, during which the hogs rings will be secured to the innerspring unit.
Completing the mattress
- 5 The closing operation is of one of the most highly skilled and critical procedures in the entire process. It is done with a movable sewing head that is mounted on a track. Tape edge operators manually feed the top, bottom, and side panels and a heavy duty binding tape into the sewing machine as it moves around the mattress. As this combination of materials is fed into the machine, the operators uses their skill to feed the proper amount of each material into the machine to produce a professionally tailored product.
- 6 Some of the highest quality mattresses may also feature a pillowtop, a panel filled with soft upholstery and attached to the top and bottom panels of the mattress for a more luxurious feel and appearance. Prequilted, the pillowtop is then taped to the mattress.
- 7 If the desired boxspring has a spiked coil design, it is made by stapling the bottom of each coil to a flat wooden frame. A wire grid is then placed on top of the springs and, once aligned, manually locked to them. A thin layer of upholstery is applied to the top. If the desired boxspring contains no springs,
Inspection, labeling, and packing
- 8 Once the units are complete, they are inspected for quality. If every thing is in order, they are labeled with the content and the contingent "do not remove" tag, required by law to ensure the consumer that the contents are properly represented in the labeling. The finished product is then transported to the packing area. Here it is inserted by hand or by automated machinery into protective plastic or paper covers. Additional information about the warranty, safety, and care of the product is also included in the packaging.
During the manufacturing phase most quality control procedures are carried out by sight. The majority of manufacturers implement inspections at critical points in the production process: after receiving the innerspring, before the closing, and before packing.
Fire is a very real danger with all conventional mattresses, and the industry and the federal government have long sought ways to limit that danger. Since 1973, manufacturers selling in the United States have been required by law to make mattresses that resist ignition by cigarettes. In 1987, the industry voluntarily began to include tags on mattresses that warn consumers of potential fire hazards.
In recent years a great deal of research has been done on the relationship between effective sleep and the sleeping environment. Since comfort and sleep are to a great extent subjective, it is often difficult to quantify the results of such studies. However, many of the larger companies continue to spend a considerable amount of money on research, especially on the design of the innerspring. In these studies quality and comfort are key considerations.
While traditional innerspring construction continues to account for the lion’s share of the mattresses produced in this country, both the water bed and the air mattress are gaining in popularity. While these unique designs require many different skills and production technologies, the growing demand for them over the last 20 years indicates a significant new trend.
Where To Learn More
American Innerspring Manufacturers, 1918 North Parkway, Memphis, Tennessee, 38112.
International Sleep Products Association, 333 Commerce St., Alexandria, Virginia, 22314.