How Long Does A Mattress Last
How long does a mattress last?
The amount of care you put into your mattress determines how long does a mattress last as so does your age and the point in your life. In short however usually it lasts for 8 to 10 years. As time passes, your body also changes in structure and you may have different physical needs in your life. For such growth and newer needs, the comfort zone also changes and a replacement for your mattress maybe in order to get better sleep and care for your body. This makes you know you need the answer to how long does a mattress last.
Different mattresses have different life spans. The material, thickness and springs of the mattress also count on its lasting. A worn out mattress will lose on its comforting properties. It may become less thick with usage and some may also tend to harden. The moment your back starts paining, subsequently showing an effect on your sleep, it is time to change the mattress. This shows how long does a mattress last. Also, when the filling in your mattress starts to show its way out of its stuffing, you must be ready to buy yourself a new one.
Sleep is an important need of human life. In today’s fast moving world, with the work stress and tension that a body has to bear, it is advisable that you buy a good quality mattress. This will have an inbuilt knowledge of how long does a mattress last. It will ensure better sleep, hence relaxing the brain cells and giving your body a good night’s sleep. Taking good care of your mattress will always make sure that your body is getting the required amount of rest.
Only if the mattress you sleep on gives you comfort and relaxation will you be able to sleep soundly. Before buying a mattress you should completely lie down on it, because unless you try it, you would not know what fits you well. Well testing and inspection of the mattress while buying it will also give you a good idea on how long does a mattress last.
In order to ensure that your mattress should last for a longer time, there are certain points to be kept in mind. Apart from keeping it clean, you must also turn your mattress the other way round at least one or two times in a year. This is required to build an even balance on the mattress, making it last longer and wear less on either side. Furthermore, children should be instructed not to jump on the mattress as it loosens the inside padding. This eventually will lead to a non-answerable question to how long does a mattress last.
You must always make sure that the mattress does not come in contact with any liquid forms. Water, drinks, tea or other liquid matters spoil the mattress and its material. Good quality mattresses surely last longer, but of course with the necessary care given to it. Poor quality mattresses do not last even for 5 years in most cases.
To make it a big number for how long does a mattress last, to add 10 years of life to it or even more 5 years, you must keep your mattress clean and tidy. It should be kept free of stains. To help the mattress last longer and keep it stain-free, you should get mattress covers. It is the best possible way to avoid any dust accumulation on your mattress. The best quality mattress that you buy should be given the best quality care, ensuring a higher life answer to how long does a mattress last.
How long does a zinus mattress last
What Happens If You Sleep on a Memory Foam Mattress Before 24 Hours
So you’ve got a new memory foam mattress, you’re excited – in the back of your mind you remember some rule of thumb about waiting for a day before sleeping on it. The manufacturers say to wait for at least 48 hours before it expands fully, especially the ones that are still in the box. But if you’re curious what happens if you sleep on a memory foam mattress before 24 hours, then you’re in the right place.
Sleeping on a Memory Foam Mattress Too Soon
There are some essential things to consider before sleeping on a memory foam mattress too soon. For instance, most memory foam mattresses require up to two days before it goes back to its original size and form. After all, these mattresses are vacuum sealed, pressed and rolled tightly to fit in the packaging.
But can you sleep on a memory foam mattress the first night? Well, you can relax, jump, or do whatever you want with your bed as soon as you received it. Using it right away won’t cause any damage but will only speed up the process of expanding the foam.
This 24-hour recommendation is to ensure customer satisfaction and manufacturer guarantees.It also gives any off-gassing time to dissipate.
Why It Needs 24 Hours to Expand?
Well firstly, you you should know that the off-gassing happens in the first couple of hours. If it’s okay to sleep on your new memory foam without waiting for 24 hours to allow it to expand, then why do we still need 24-48 hours?
It’s all about the manufacturer guarantee. They claim that if it doesn’t fully open up and you did sleep on it then you’ll void that guarantee. If you’ve paid several hundred or even thousand on a new bed – you have to think twice about risking your money back opportunity.
But another important question is that, what should you do if your mattress takes more than 24 hours to expand fully? Well, there are rare cases wherein compressed memory foam mattresses don’t fully extend. If that’s the case, then you can ask your seller what to do to make it expand or ask for a new one.
Get yourself a mattress protector right now!
Waterproof Mattress Pad Protector Cover [Memory Foam]
For less than $20, save your mattress from spills for life.
If you are looking for the highest rated mattress protector on Amazon for your platform bed or box spring, here are the best choices we’ve found. Check these to find out if one of them is perfect for your needs.
Zinus Mattress – How Long to Expand
Most Zinus Memory Foam Mattress like the 12 Inch Green Tea Mattress need 48 to 72 hours to relax and decompress and restore to its original shape. That’s why the Zinus company manual advice customers to open the packaging within 72 hours of arrival to make sure the mattress they ordered will fully grow to its potential.
And with the green tea extract infuse in the foam, you will not inhale hazardous and harmful smell with you first open the packaging. It will typically dissipate after laying the mattress in a well-ventilated area.
What to Do When Memory Foam Mattress Not Inflating?
Memory foams have different thickness levels. You can choose from an 8-inch mattress to a 13-inch memory foam bed. They are designed with open cells to conform to various shapes of sleepers using the bedding. Before they leave the factory, these mattresses are folded and compressed using a machine roller to fit into a small package.
The best way to use a memory foam is to let it expand before using. However, if it’s not inflating, there are simple tricks you can do to enjoy its comfort after 24 hours of arrival. Check these tips to help you out:
- Unbox the memory foam within the three days of arrival. Remove the plastic cover using your hands. Never use any sharp objects like a knife and scissors when removing the mattress from the package to avoid damages.
- Allow the foam to adjust in room temperature, which may take up to a couple of hours until it begins expanding. This step is essential, especially when you get your memory foam in the winter season. Foam mattresses tend to become more brittle if it’s still tight, which can lead to tearing.
- Unroll it in a spare room so the open cells of the memory foam will expand and inflate freely. Separate each layer of the foam carefully to allow them to grow. Pull them in uniform motion with slow and steady hands.
What Are the Possible Reasons Why your Lucid Memory Foam Mattress is Not Expanding?
If your Lucid memory foam mattress is not expanding, there might be an essential step you haven’t performed after unrolling it. First, it needs time to develop, typically within 72 hours before you can finally use the mattress. So wait for it until it becomes entirely usable in its original size.
Some memory foam mattresses take one week to air out, but they lose the new-foam smell at the same time. It is already fully plumped when you noticed that the smell is gone. And you can use a mattress topper to retain the plumpness of your new memory foam.
The truth is, each mattress has its own expansion time and features. Therefore, the time required before they fully expand will depend on the model and brand you purchased.
Before you can move it to your bedroom, most memory foam mattresses that usually take 24 hours to decompress may still need at least two hours. Waiting for 24 hours or 72 hours to allow a bed to expand is a traditional belief.
Most of the mattresses offered on the market today only take a short time to decompress, and you can sleep on the right after unboxing them. So there’s nothing to worry about sleeping on your mattress too soon. You won’t damage your memory foam while sleeping on it during the first night.
The key is in the type of memory foam used in your mattress. The higher quality the foam, the better and faster it will expand in less than 24 hours.
Zinus Mattress Reviews
The Bottom Line.
- Zinus offers a wide range of memory foam, innerspring, and hybrid mattresses – all available at exceptionally low price-points.
- Available online and in brick-and-mortar stores nationwide.
- Zinus beds feature memory foams infused with cooling materials that provide consistent body conforming and pressure relief.
Tuck readers get the lowest price on a Zinus mattress.
16,362 Verified Customer Experiences
19 Unique Review Sources
20 Hours of Lab Testing
4 Sleep Experts Consulted
Meet Our Testing Team
- Multiple model, thickness, and firmness options
- Price-points are significantly below-average
- Wide online and brick-and-mortar availability
- Below-average durability
- Questionable edge support
- ‘F’ BBB rating and consumer complaints about sleep trial/return policy
Zinus offersmemory foam,innerspring, andhybridmattresses. The company currently offers a total of six mattress models, all of which are available with multiple thickness options. The threememory foammattresses are as follows:
- ThePressure Relief Green Tea Memory Foam Mattressis available in6″,8″,10″, and12″designs. The comfort system features a layer of memory foam; with the exception of the 6″ design, it also has a layer of high-density polyfoam. The support core is made from high-density polyfoam, and the cover is a jacquard knit.
- TheCooling Gel Memory Foam Mattressis available in8″,10″,12″, and14″designs. The comfort system features a top layer of gel memory foam and a bottom layer of polyfoam, the support core is made with one to two layers of high-density polyfoam (depending on the thickness), and the cover is a jacquard knit.
- ThePressure Relief Cloud Memory Foam Mattressis available in8″,10″, and12″designs. The comfort system features a top layer of ‘Viscolatex’ response foam, a middle layer of memory foam, and a bottom layer of polyfoam. The support core is constructed from high-density polyfoam, and the cover is a jacquard knit with one inch (1″) of microfiber padding.
The twoinnerspringmattresses currently sold by Zinus are as follows:
- ThePressure Relief Pocketed iCoil Spring Mattressis available as a10″design. The comfort system features a top layer of standard polyfoam and a bottom layer of high-density polyfoam, and the support core is made with a top layer of high-density polyfoam and a pocketed coil base layer. The cover is a jacquard knit.
- ThePressure Relief Euro Top iCoil Hybrid Mattressis an innerspring mattress that is available in12″and13″designs. The comfort system contains a top layer of standard polyfoam and a bottom layer of high-density polyfoam. The support core is constructed with a top layer of high-density polyfoam and a bottom layer of pocketed coils, and the cover is a jacquard knit with a half-inch (1/2″) of fiber padding.Lastly, Zinus offers onehybridmattress model:
- TheCooling Hybrid Gel Foam Mattressis available in10″and12″designs. has a comfort system with a top layer of gel memory foam and a bottom layer of standard polyfoam. The support core features pocketed coils buffered with top and bottom layers of high-density polyfoam, and the cover is a jacquard knit.
Each bed is available in multiple thickness profiles, and height selection can also affect firmness. As a result, Zinus accommodates a wide range of sleepers in terms of weight, position, and comfort preferences.
The brand’s all-foam beds provide consistent body conforming and pressure relief. They also isolate motion transfer well and do not make any noise. Innerspring and hybrid models from Zinus are more responsive, which makes them better for sex. They sleep cool, as well.
Zinus offers free shipping for all customers. Each bed is backed by a 100-night sleep trial and a 10-year warranty. Zinus beds have price-points that are considered very below-average.
Read on to learn about each of the current Zinus beds in terms of construction, pricing, and performance. This guide also includes an overview of the brand’s shipping, return, and warranty policies, along with some similar mattress options.
How Long Does A TempurPedic Mattress Last? (Explained)
Everything you need to know about the durability and lifespan of TempurPedic beds.
If you’ve read any of our buyer guides, you probably knowwe expect a quality mattress to last you about 8-10 years. Of course, there are a ton of factors that go into how durable a mattress will be, like your body weight, volume of use, its construction, the quality of materials inside and much more.
An overhead look at the TempurPedic Pro Breeze mattress
If you think about it, a mattress that’s sitting in your guest room will probably last longer than the mattress you sleep on with your loved one every single night. Also, a $300 mattress that sources low density foams from overseas is way less likely to hold up as long as a premium $2,000 mattress that’s made right here in the USA. But in general, a good mattress that’s used consistently should last you about a decade, give or take a year or so.
Hybrid Mattresses vs Foam Beds
Above we briefly touched on how mattress construction can have an impact on its durability, and that’s especially true if you’re dealing with a hybrid mattress. A hybrid bed is simply a mattress that contains both foam and coils, and those coils play a big role in the prevention of sagging. Not only docoils provide more support compared to dense foams, but they also provide bi-directional resistance to pressure when you lay down.
A look at the construction of the TempurPedic Tempur-Adapt hybrid mattress
Accordingly, if you’re looking to use your next mattress for as long as possible, we think you should spring for a hybrid mattress (pun intended). TempurPedic sells all-foam beds, as well as hybrid ones. You can check out full reviews of the TempurPedic hybrid beds here.
TempurPedic Mattress Warranty Analysis
The warranties mattress companies offer can sometimes be a dead tell for how long they expect their products to last. In TempurPedic’s case, theyoffer a 10-year “full replacement limited warranty.”
A 10 year warranty is pretty standard in the mattress industry. That’s what most companies offer. There are only a handful of brands that actually go above and beyond the 10 year period. For example, Nest Bedding and Layla are two companies that back their mattresses with lifetime warranties.
The Layla mattress comes with a lifetime warranty
For the most part, the TempurPedic warranty is pretty straightforward and normal. It essentially covers any manufacturing defects for a 10 year period. For example, thewarranty covers indentations (sagging) more than 0.75″, cracks and splits in the foam and defects related to the zipper. The warranty does not cover physical abuse such as burns, cuts, liquid stains or damage stemming from the use of improper bed frames. We recommend you check out all the details related to the warranty on the company’s official website.
The company also recommends you keep proof of purchase documents in a safe place. That way, you won’t run into any issues in the event you want to make a claim.
What Actual Customers Say
As your trusted bedding reviewers, we felt an obligation to get down and dirty and research what actual customers of TempurPedic had to say about the durability of their mattresses. We went through literally hundreds of reviews dating back several years looking for folks who specifically mentioned how long their mattress lasted.For the most part, people had great things to say about their beds. Below are a few reviews that might be of interest to potential customers. We didn’t include their entire comments for brevity’s sake, just a brief snippet to get the point across.
- Customer from Portland, OR said “My original TempurPedic mattress was great for 18 years.”
- Customer from Philadelphia, PA said they had just purchased their “second TempurPedic mattress in 12 years,” and they had “no complaints” after sleeping on their new Breeze Hybrid for a few months.
- Customer from Hammon, LA said they purchased a king size bed 14 years ago and “they can’t imagine replacing it any time soon.”
- Customer from Cornelius, NC said “I adored my TempurPedic for 15 years.”
- Customer from New York, NY said they only started to “experience back pain” after they had their TempurPedic “for 12 years.”
- Customer from Cocoa Beach, FL wrote “first one lasted 10 years.”
- Customer from CDA, ID said they had their TempurPedic “just over a year, love it”
We could keep going, but we think you see the pattern here. And for the record, all of these reviews were from this year. The folks who claimed their TempurPedic was long-lasting kept their bed for an average of 10-15 years, which is a little longer than your standard mattress.
There were a total ofthree negative reviews we could find:
- Unhappy customer from Houston, TX said her and her husband had their TempurPedic for “over a couple of years, and there were indentations where my husband and I sleep.”
- David from Texas said his TempurPedic “doesn’t hold up” and that it “does good for 6 months, but doesn’t support after.” He also claimed to have a “¾” dip in the side of his mattress.”
- Unhappy customer in Carmel, IN said it was “great for one year,” but now they’re “going into year 3 and it’s worn.”
However, based on the majority of these reviews, most people claimed their TempurPedic mattress lasted them over a decade. Just please, for the sake of a good night’s sleep, don’t be like that guy from Oregon who kept theirs for 18 years. No matter how good a mattress is, you should probably bite the bullet andpurchase a new bed after 10-12 years.
How Long Does a Latex Mattress Last?
Purchasing a new mattress can be a chore, so you’d be best to buy a mattress that will last. Natural latex mattresses last longer than memory foam or innerspring mattresses, with an average lifespan of 8-10 years.
There are a number of factors that will affect how long your latex mattress will hold up.
The first consideration is having a proper mattress cover. Since latex is a natural material, exposure to sunlight, dust, and moisture can accelerate the breakdown process. This is great for when you are ready to dispose of your mattress, but not for increasing its lifespan. We suggest a cotton and wool blend cover be used on latex mattresses so that you still reap the benefits of latex’s breathability while keeping the inside protected.
The second consideration is a sleeper’s bodyweight. The truth is that the more you weigh, the more quickly your mattress will breakdown. This is simply due to gravity. This is why we make the Naturale Grand mattress. We built this mattress specifically for overweight people. The 100% natural latex mattress consists of an extra firm support base, with a medium-firm top layer that provides comfort and with support. We know that our overweight sleepers will wear out the top layer more quickly, but don’t want them to have to buy an entirely new mattress so we decided to make this layer replaceable whenever the mattress starts to lose it’s “oomph.”
We hope you enjoy your latex mattress for years to come. To find the best option for you, our customer service team is available to answer any questions you may have.