How Long Do Mattresses Last? The Results May Shock You!
Mattresses are pretty expensive — one quick glance at our buyer’s guide will confirm this fact. This is why many people do not replace them – not even after many years of use.
They do not want to spend a lot of money on a new one. Besides, now you can delay the process of buying a new one if you do an excellent job at maintaining your existing one.So, how often should you replace your mattress?
It doesn’t matter which type of bed you have. Most of them are ready for replacement within ten years to ensure a good night’s rest (old mattresses can hurt your sleep quality). Besides, it can last beyond ten years on average, if the owners maintain it properly.
Also, many different factors affect a bed’s lifespan. You can extend its life expectancy by following a few easy steps in the text below. We prepared and wrote down some tips to boost its longevity.
King Koil Mattress Review
The Bottom Line.
- King Koil’s innerspring, foam, and hybrid mattress selection spans a wide range of firmness, thickness, and pricing options.
- King Koil mattresses are sold at retail stores nationwide.
- Choose from plush pillow-top beds, hybrids with copper-infused latex, and more.
King Koil mattresses are only available in stores.
See here for online recommendations.
598 Verified Customer Experiences
8 Unique Sources
27 Hours of Lab Testing
4 Sleep Experts Consulted
Meet Our Testing Team
- Wide range of designs, thicknesses, and firmness options
- Good overall edge support
- A+ BBB rating
- Questionable durability
- Limited specification disclosures
- Availability largely limited to eastern U.S.
King Koil mattresses are sold exclusively through 3rd-party retailers.
If you’d rather shop online, read our recommendations and top picks.
King Koil offers innerspring, hybrid, and memory foam mattresses. A total of 20 mattresses are available as part of five exclusive collections.
The World Edition collection includes the following five innerspring models:
- TheSiena Firmfeatures a comfort layer made of polyfoam. The support core features pocketed coils, followed by a polyfoam base layer. The quilted cover is infused with gel foam.
- TheSydney Firmis designed with a polyfoam comfort layer and a pocketed coil support core reinforced with a polyfoam base layer. The quilted cover is infused with gel foam.
- TheSydney Euro Topis constructed with a polyfoam comfort layer. The support core features pocketed coils over a polyfoam base layer, and the quilted cover is infused with gel foam.
- TheMonaco Plushhas a polyfoam comfort system. The support core features pocketed coils reinforced with gel memory foam in the center, as well as a polyfoam base layer. The quilted cover is infused with gel foam.
- TheMonaco Euro Tophas a polyfoam comfort system with an additional ‘lumbar support’ bottom layer. The pocketed coil support core is reinforced with gel memory foam in the center, and supported with a polyfoam base layer. The cover is quilted and infused with gel foam.
The following six mattresses are part of the World Luxury collection. The Kingsley models are innersprings, and the Montego models are listed as hybrids.
- TheKingsley Firmfeatures layers of memory foam and polyfoam in the comfort layer. The support core is constructed with foam-encased pocketed coils and a polyfoam base layer. The cover is blended from silk and wool and infused with gel foam.
- TheKingsley Plushis designed with layers of memory foam and polyfoam in the comfort system. The support core features pocketed coils with a foam encasement, followed by a polyfoam base layer. The cover is blended from silk and wool and infused with gel foam.
- TheKingsley Euro Topfeatures a comfort layer made of memory foam with two insert layers of polyfoam. The support core has pocketed coils encased in foam, followed by a polyfoam base layer. The cover is blended from silk and wool and infused with gel foam.
- TheMontego Luxury Firmhas a comfort layer with layers of memory foam, gel memory foam, and polyfoam. The support core features pocketed coils encased in foam, and the cover is a silk and wool blend infused with gel foam.
- TheMontego Luxury Plushis designed with a memory foam comfort layer and a pocketed coil support core encased in foam. The cover is made of a silk-wool blend infused with gel foam.
- TheMontego Luxury Pillow Topfeatures a comfort system with layers of gel memory foam and polyfoam, as well as memory foam inserts. The support core is constructed with foam-encased pocketed coils, and the cover is made of a silk and wool blend infused with gel foam.
The next two hybrid mattresses are sold as part of the World Extended Life collection:
- TheAthens Firmhas a comfort system with a layer of Talalay latex buffered with top and bottom layers of high-density polyfoam. The pocketed coil support core is encased in foam, and the fabric cover is infused with gel foam.
- TheAthens Plushhas a top layer of high-density polyfoam and a bottom layer of Talalay latex in the comfort system, and a pocketed coil support core encased in foam. The fabric cover is infused with high-density foam.
These three hybrid mattresses are part of the World Luxury Intimate collection:
- TheVienna Plushhas a comfort system with layers of Joma wool, gel memory foam, latex, and memory foam. The pocketed coil support core is encased in foam.
- TheVienna Firmfeatures a comfort system with Joma wool, gel memory foam, latex, and memory foam layers. It also has a pocketed coil support core encased in foam.
- TheVienna Euro Tophas layers of Joma wool, gel memory foam, latex, memory foam, and microcoils. The support core features pocketed coils encased in foam.
The final four mattresses are included in the iMattress collection. The G10 Firm and G12 Plush are memory foam mattresses, and the XS 10 Hybrid Firm and XS 50 are hybrid mattresses.
- TheG10 Firmfeatures a memory foam comfort layer and a high-density polyfoam support core. The cover is infused with copper yarns.
- TheG12Plushfeatures a memory foam comfort system and a support core constructed from high-density polyfoam. The fabric cover is infused with copper yarns.
- TheXS 10 Hybrid Firmis designed with a memory foam comfort layer and a pocketed coil support core. The fabric cover is infused with copper yarns.
- TheXS 50 Hybrid Plushfeatures a memory foam comfort layer, a pocketed coil support core, and a fabric cover infused with copper yarns.
How Long Should My Mattress Set Last?
Ever wondered how long mattresses usually last?
You are not alone. What do you think?
According to Consumer Reports the average life for a coil spring mattress is about 8 years. Truthfully it is my opinion the average mattress used 7-8 hours nightly will only last at best 6-7 years, but what does all this really mean and can they last longer?
Sure they can but lets put this into the proper context. Mattresses can physically last 20-30 years and lets face it number one its not healthy to sleep on most 20 + year old mattresses for health reasons we won’t even get into, that could be a blog by itself. Number two you wouldn’t wear your clothes that long without proper cleaning and care so why should mattress care be any different. It is no different and the people own these mattresses typically ignore them. The fact is mattresses are out of site and out of mind. Physically almost every mattress in that age group has out lasted its useful, supportive, comforting life and capability. In reality the bed is causing more problems than it is resolving.
Good quality premium mattresses used night after night can support and offer a sleeper at least a fair amount comfort up to 10 maybe 12 years. The fact is that after gravity, body weight, and construction materials begin to take its toll in the form of inadequate support and lack of mattress comfort.
So what can you do to make your mattress last a little longer?
If you would like to get the most out of your mattress both support and comfort take care of your mattress like you would your car’s engine with regular oil changes. In the case of a new mattress be sure to place a boxspring or foundation under it using proper steel bed frame or wood supports using legs that keep the whole bed unit from sagging.
Lastly your new mattress is not a chair so don’t use it for one. Many salespeople hype up extra heavy-duty seat or side edge support in mattresses implying it can be used like a chair. Not true, we never recommend using the side of your bed for nothing more than a way to get into or exit your bed, but if you must sit on the edge of your bed, it is very important not to sit in the same spot.
Finally cheaply constructed mattresses using low grade foams, minimal amounts of foam for padding, and coils springs that are weak in gauge and few in numbers can also cause mattresses to fail in just a couple of years as quick as a few months. These types of mattresses are designed for guest rooms, very light weight people (little kids) or decorative purposes like completing a bedroom that is never used.
Author: Douglas Belleville
Doug Belleville and his father Dave own and run STLBeds – a specialty sleep store located in Arnold, MO. The staff at STLBeds is highly educated about sleep, comfort and their special sleep products. STLBeds only carries high quality mattresses and bed-related products. You won’t find the brand names here – click here to find out why!
Frequently Asked Questions
Below you will find a list of the most commonly asked questions. If you cannot find the answer to your question on this page, email us and we will do our best to answer it for you.
How do I know if I need a new mattress?
The life span of a typical mattress is seven to 10 years. Warning signs of needing a new mattress are: loss of comfort, less support, backaches, coils poking through the mattress, edge collapse, and excessive wear and tear. If you have experienced any of the above, it is probably time for a new mattress.
Should I replace my box spring when purchasing a new mattress?
Even though your box spring may not be showing visible signs of wear and tear, you should buy a new box spring when purchasing a new mattress. The majority of the mattresses made in the past seven years are single-sided, meaning there is only one sleep surface. These mattresses have different foundation needs than previous models. Additionally, most manufacturers will not warranty your new mattress if it is not purchased with its complementing box spring.
How much should I spend?
Mattresses are available at a number of price points. A queen mattress set can be priced as low as $299 and all the way up to $10,000. Prices vary because of the various technologies used. Sleep is a very important part of a healthy lifestyle; take time to find a mattress that fits your comfort and support needs at a price you can afford.
How do I shop for a mattress?
Click to visit our "Buying Guide" section.
Is my mattress fire resistant?
As of 2007, all mattresses manufactured and imported in the U.S. are required to meet the new standard, and manufacturers must provide proof that their products meet the standard. For more information, visit the Consumer Products Safety Commission.
What is single-sided construction?
Many of today’s mattresses are built with one sleep surface. This movement to single-sided construction has given manufacturers greater ability to construct more comfortable, more supportive and more durable mattresses. Additionally, it eliminates the difficult task of flipping one’s mattress. It is recommended that you rotate a single-sided mattress regularly to refresh comfort layers.
How often should I rotate my mattress?
First 3 months – Turn mattress every two weeks. After 3 months – Turn mattress every month.
Why and how should I rotate my mattress?
Mattresses need to be rotated to achieve their maximum usable life. You can extend your mattress comfort and the durability of your new sleep set by setting a regular schedule for care and maintenance.
Today’s mattresses employ thick layers of upholstery materials to provide comfort and the feeling of plushness. Over time (even a short time), these layers will compress to form to your body. This is quite natural, and a mattress should be rotated regularly to ensure proper, even wear.
For the first 90 days, your King Koil sleep set should be rotated every two weeks. After the initial 90 days, you will only need to rotate your mattress once a month.
First 3 Months– Turn mattress every two weeks.
After 3 Months– Turn mattress every month.
Why do you not show prices with any of your mattresses?
King Koil offers hundreds of mattress models encompassing a wide range of prices. You will be certain that you can find a King Koil mattress that meets your needs at the price you want to pay. Visit your local retailer for product availability and pricing. For a list of retailers near you, use the King Koil dealer locator .
How Long Does A Mattress Last
How long does a mattress last?
The amount of care you put into your mattress determines how long does a mattress last as so does your age and the point in your life. In short however usually it lasts for 8 to 10 years. As time passes, your body also changes in structure and you may have different physical needs in your life. For such growth and newer needs, the comfort zone also changes and a replacement for your mattress maybe in order to get better sleep and care for your body. This makes you know you need the answer to how long does a mattress last.
Different mattresses have different life spans. The material, thickness and springs of the mattress also count on its lasting. A worn out mattress will lose on its comforting properties. It may become less thick with usage and some may also tend to harden. The moment your back starts paining, subsequently showing an effect on your sleep, it is time to change the mattress. This shows how long does a mattress last. Also, when the filling in your mattress starts to show its way out of its stuffing, you must be ready to buy yourself a new one.
Sleep is an important need of human life. In today’s fast moving world, with the work stress and tension that a body has to bear, it is advisable that you buy a good quality mattress. This will have an inbuilt knowledge of how long does a mattress last. It will ensure better sleep, hence relaxing the brain cells and giving your body a good night’s sleep. Taking good care of your mattress will always make sure that your body is getting the required amount of rest.
Only if the mattress you sleep on gives you comfort and relaxation will you be able to sleep soundly. Before buying a mattress you should completely lie down on it, because unless you try it, you would not know what fits you well. Well testing and inspection of the mattress while buying it will also give you a good idea on how long does a mattress last.
In order to ensure that your mattress should last for a longer time, there are certain points to be kept in mind. Apart from keeping it clean, you must also turn your mattress the other way round at least one or two times in a year. This is required to build an even balance on the mattress, making it last longer and wear less on either side. Furthermore, children should be instructed not to jump on the mattress as it loosens the inside padding. This eventually will lead to a non-answerable question to how long does a mattress last.
You must always make sure that the mattress does not come in contact with any liquid forms. Water, drinks, tea or other liquid matters spoil the mattress and its material. Good quality mattresses surely last longer, but of course with the necessary care given to it. Poor quality mattresses do not last even for 5 years in most cases.
To make it a big number for how long does a mattress last, to add 10 years of life to it or even more 5 years, you must keep your mattress clean and tidy. It should be kept free of stains. To help the mattress last longer and keep it stain-free, you should get mattress covers. It is the best possible way to avoid any dust accumulation on your mattress. The best quality mattress that you buy should be given the best quality care, ensuring a higher life answer to how long does a mattress last.