How To Make A Bad Mattress More Comfortable With 11 Ingenious Products
Sleeping on a bad mattress can really do a number on your body and your mood вЂ” since sleep deprivation can turn any good day bad. But if you’re the not-so-proud owner of a crappy mattress, don’t toss it just yet. Instead, try a few of these tips to make your mattress more comfortable.
When it comes to comfort, having the right padding is everything, but it’s also a personal preference. While I like sleeping on a harder surface, many people prefer to sleep on a soft one. If that’s the case, an egg crate, feather bed, or mattress pad can make your mattress more supportive.
Using the right kind of pillows, and even the right sheets and comforters, can make a big difference to how well you sleep at night. If you’re a side sleeper, opt for a body pillow to wake up less achey and creaky. Or, try a nice down comforter for a little extra padding and somesupersoft sheets. If your mattress feels too hot at night, look for a cooling pad that releases some of that heat, or shop around for the best cooling sheets.
Whatever issues you’re having with your mattress, these ingenious products can turn whatever your sleeping on into a much more comfortable place to get your Zzz’s. Here’s some advice on how to make an uncomfortable mattress more comfortable.
1. Invest In A Quality Mattress Topper
Your mattress topper is almost as important as your mattress in ensuring you have a good night’s sleep. To make a bad mattress comfier, try a memory foam mattress topper like this one. Made with gel memory foam that feels soft, yet firm, this topper will shape to your body eliminating any pain you get from sleeping on a bad mattress. One fan raves, "I have an Ikea spring mattress and was starting to really feel the springs through the bed and felt like I had no back support. I opted to buy a topper instead of an entirely new mattress and am glad I did! The memory foam supports where it needs to and has made my bed SO much more comfortable."
How To Make Your Air Mattress More Comfortable
Sleeping on an air mattress for one night isn’t a big deal, but to get a good night’s sleep night after night, you might be asking yourself what are the tools and trick on how to make your air mattress more comfortable. Luckily, there are several easy and affordable ways to do so. This list has more than a dozen items that will instantly improve your experience.
Sleeping on an air mattress may lead to some comfort issues вЂ” like lack of temperature regulation resulting in being too hot or too cold, back pain, and air leakages. So, comfort may start at the simplest of sources вЂ” the most comfortable air mattresses.
But if you already have one you’d simply like to make more comfortable, try a mattress topper; I’ve got one that provides softer cushioning and another that provides firmer support so you can choose based on your preferences. It could also be that your mattress isn’t giving you the support you need because it’s leaky; if so, try my sealant repair kit pick, which also works on pool toys and other inflatables.
Even something as simple as the right sheets that actually fit your air mattress and stay put can make all the difference in comfort.
My picks are highly rated, some with hundreds or even thousands of reviews on Amazon. So read on and take comfort in knowing you’ll sleep better soon on your air mattress.
7 Ways to Make an Air Mattress More Comfortable
It goes without saying that unhealthy sleeping patterns are amongst the most common problem which leads to a range of different issues. And, when it comes to it, the mattress is one of the main causes for this.
With this said, we’ve decided to take the liberty of providing you with a few things that you might want to considerif you wanted to make your air bed a lot more comfortable. While we understand that this is likely to be a temporary solution, it is still important to make sure that it is supportive and reliable enough to prevent any issues.
Here are a few things that you might want to take into account if you want to enhance the quality of sleep on your air bed.
Proper Covers and Spreading of Bed Sheets
What you might want to consider is the fact that an air mattress (inflatable bed) is nothing but an inflated air into a structure that has been preliminarily enclosed and made in the form of bed. With this said, the air inside is bound to get warm as the weather becomes hotter.
The same is true for when the weather becomes colder – the air is also going to cool off. To prevent any serious alterations regarding temperature, you should prepare the proper spreading of bed sheets alongside mattress covers. This would prevent you from feeling uncomfortable due to the severe temperature changes.
Put it on a Softer Surface
This is another straightforward and quick way to improve the overall quality of the inflatable mattress. It is because the vinyl bottom layer of the bed is not going to augur that good with a surface that’s harder. These include hardwood floor, for example – it is certainly going to make your sleeping quite rough. For this reason, you can put it on a mat or a rug, and this will significantly increase the overall quality of your sleep. And if you’re wondering how to make an inflatable mattress quiet, this trick can help you with the noise as well.
Add a Topper
This is one of the most affordable ways to substantially increase the overall quality of the bed. This is going to ensure that you don’t sleep on the characteristic rubbery surface of the air bed.
In cheaper solutions, this surface feels particularly uncomfortable, and with a mattress topper, you can easily get rid of those issues. The topper is going to maximize the comfort as much as it is actually possible. It is also usable on regular beds as well.
Place it on a Box Spring
This is one of the things which is going to enhance the comfort of your air bed substantially. It is also going to ensure that you would be capable of getting out of the bed a lot quicker and without having to put in as much effort. The reason for this is that the overall height would be a lot more. If you wish to enhance the quality of your sleep substantially, box spring is another thing that you might take advantage of – it is quite convenient.
Your Pillow Matters
There are tremendous and undeniable benefits which are associated with the usage of a proper pillow. They can’t be overstated. For this particular reason, you should always make sure that you have a great and appropriate pillow for your bed.
This is something that applies to regular mattresses as well. It doesn’t matter if you have the most expensive mattress on the market, if your pillow is uncomfortable and inappropriate, this could cause a lot of issues.
Using the Wall
Having a headboard over your head is something that you might want to consider for each bed that you use. The headboard is likely to prevent your pillow from falling off as you sleep and causing disruptions. An inflated mattress is unlikely to ever have a board over it, so you can put it right next to the wall to resemble this sensation.
Deflate or Inflate
One of the most important factors which are going to impact the quality of the sleep in an air bed is the amount of air that it contains – this is something critical. If you have too much air in it, the inflatable bed is going to feel very firm.
If you don’t have enough, on the other hand, this is going to cause it to sag and to be unable to support you properly. This is something that you want to prevent. Make sure to inflate and to deflate the bed as much as it is needed to achieve the perfect specification. This is something fairly individual as it would obviously vary based on your actual weight, for instance.
As you can see, an air bed could be adjusted to fit your requirements for a reliable and comfortable sleeping solution. Of course, this is something that should only be used temporarily as it is incapable of bringing any long-term comfort and support.
An air bed is awesome for your guest room, but it doesn’t mean that you have to keep it ill-maintained. Following all of the above is going to ensure that you get a bed that’s supportive, comfortable and cool.
They are particularly affordable, so keep in mind that they would bring tremendous value for your money as well.
Sources and References:
- Should You Buy A Pull-out Sofa or An Inflatable Mattress? – sleep.org
- Effect of different mattress designs on promoting sleep quality, pain reduction, and spinal alignment in adults with or without back pain; systematic review of controlled trials– sciencedirect.com
Author: Sleep Advisor
Our team covers as many areas of expertise as we do time zones, but none of us started here as a so-called expert on sleep. What we do share is a willingness to ask questions (lots of them), seek experts, and dig deep into conventional wisdom to see if maybe there might be a better path towards healthy living. We apply what we learn not only to our company culture, but also how we deliver information to our over 12.7M readers.
Sleep research is changing all the time, and we are 100% dedicated to keeping up with breakthroughs and innovations. You live better if you sleep better. Whatever has brought you here, we wish you luck on your journey towards better rest.
Transparency Disclosure– We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure pagehere. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
6 Types of Foam – Qualities To Look Out For
10 Top Rated Trundle Beds – Our Reviews and Ratings for 2020
How to Properly Wash (or Clean) Your Pillows
How Can You Make a Mattress Firmer – 7 Helpful Tips And Tricks
How To Pick a Carpet for Your Bedroom
Menopause and Insomnia – What’s Burning? Oh, it’s me.
Our 8 Highest Rated CBD Oils for 2020
What is Beauty Sleep and How Can I Get it? The Science Revealed
9 Tips for Sleeping Better in a CPAP Mask
Sleep Chronotypes – Are You a Bear, Wolf, Lion, or Dolphin?
Transparency Disclosure– We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here.We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
- About Us
- Contact Us
- Terms & Conditions
- DMCA Policy
- Sleep Calculator
There’s no one-size-fits-all when it comes to better health and better rest, but no one has time to sleep, let alone figure out how to upgrade the sleep they’re getting.
From figuring out how to buy a mattress, suggesting ones that are good for different needs and body types, or breaking down the newest science behind technology and wellness breakthroughs, Sleep Advisor has you covered.
How To Make An Air Mattress More Comfortable
The recent escalation in health complications emanating from unhealthy sleep has triggered global outcry. It is for this reason that we flexed our muscles and dived deep into the mattress industry in an attempt to offer you some ideas on how to make an air mattress more comfortable. Although this type of bed is most commonly used as a temporary setup, perhaps for guests or whilst camping, even if used for a short period of time there are fringe benefits from obtaining maximum comfort from your purchase. Below we discuss and recommended the 7 top methods which can be done very easily and sometimes with no added cost:
Table of Contents
Our Top 7 Tips
1. Proper Spreading of Bed Sheets and Covers
An air mattress (also commonly known as an air bed) is literally air inflated into an enclosed structure made in the form of a mattress or bed. Therefore it is worth noting that there is air inside, which is bound to get warm when the weather is hot, and cold when the weather is cold. Nights usually get cold and for that reason, the air will too as those nights fade. Ensuring that proper spreading of bed sheets and bed covers shall assure that one does not have to have to bear with these temperature changes.
2. Place It On Soft Surface
Placing the mattress on soft surfaces is yet another way to improve comfort levels. This is because the vinyl bottom layer does not augur well with hard surfaces such as hardwood floor which would make your sleep quite uncomfortable. For this reason, one ought to place it in a strategic position on a soft surface like a rug or a mat in order to get quality sleep.
3. Add A Topper To Your Bed
Adding a topper to your bed is yet another way to improve comfort. This ensures that you do not sleep on the somewhat hard or rubbery surface which in sometimes cheaper versions feels somewhat uncomfortable. The topper will maximize the comfort of your sleep surface based on which type you use, whether it be a memory foam or latex.
4. Place On A Box Spring Or Platform
Placing it on a box spring adds comfort, and ensures that you can get out of bed fast and with least effort due to the overall raised height. This is, therefore, another way recommended if at all one wishes to enjoy a great nights sleep.
5. Use A Pillow On It
The health benefits of using a pillow when sleeping can never be overstated. For this reason, one should ensure that they always have a good pillow when sleeping in order to enjoy proper spinal alignment. This goes a long way in curbing the risk of experiencing neck and backaches which are quite stressful, to say the least. Pillows can range dramatically in price but it’s not a good idea to buy cheap quality ones which will certainly not offer the right support, nor will they last very long. Check our pillow section for some recommendations based on your needs.
6. Use The Wall
It is a wise practice to always have a headboard whichever type of bed you use. Commonly a headboard prevents pillows and other bedding from falling off as one is asleep. In general, air mattresses will never come with a headboard due to their compactness and flexible design. Therefore one should aim to move the bed closer to the wall for best results ensuring maximum comfort.
7. Inflate Or Deflate
Having the right amount of inflation for your air bed is yet another way to ensure the sleep surface is either soft and plush, or nice and firm. Having too much air inside will make it too firm, whereas having too little will make it too soft. Nowadays, if the bed has a built-in pump, this fine-tuning can usually be tweaked with the single turn of a knob.
It is, therefore, time we put some of these basic practices in place to curb the catastrophic repercussions resulting from unhealthy sleep once and for all.
Most Comfortable Air Mattress
Air mattresses have a lot of uses from providing extra sleeping space for guests to giving outdoor lovers a much more comfortable camping experience. These convenient and useful mattresses are easy to inflate and deflate and can be transformed into a comfortable place to sleep or rest in minutes.
Most Comfortable Air Mattress Reviews
Not all air mattresses are created equal so it is important to know what features are important and how to tell the high quality mattresses from the ones you should avoid. Things you will need to learn about include size of the mattress, durability, portability, the space you have available and other things as well.
The top ten chart below features 10 of the most popular air mattresses on the market with consumers. In addition to the chart, we have provided detailed reviews of the top five air mattresses and a convenient and useful buying guide that will give you all the information you will need to sort through the dozens of choices so you purchase the air mattress that fits your needs the best.
Top 10 Most Comfortable Air Mattress
|Air Mattress||Air Coils||Height (in)||Weight Capacity (lb)|
|Intex Pillow Rest||40||16.50||300|
|Leggett & Platt||30||11.00||400|
SoundAsleep air mattress features a patented 1-click pump that allows for fast, easy inflation and deflation so you can get things ready quickly.
The ComfortCoil technology is made up of 40 internal air coils that provide plenty of support and durability which keeps your bed firm and flat. This means you’ll be able to sleep more soundly without frequent wake-ups.
This air bed can be inflated to full capacity in less than 4 minutes and can be topped off as needed quickly.
It is perfect for use in your home as a sleeping space for friends or relatives that are staying the night or for a teen having a guest spend the night.
Dimensions on this Queen-sized air mattress are 78 x 58 x 19. The double height air mattress has dual chambers and the sure-grip bottom prevents the bed from sliding around during use. The waterproof flocked mattress top is extra thick with puncture-resistant material that is extra durable. The SoundAsleep air mattress has a 500 pound weight capacity comes with a convenient carry bad for easy transport and a 1 year guarantee as well.
2. Intex Comfort
Intex is a popular air mattress manufacturer that produces quality mattresses for many uses.
This home-use air bed is made with Fiber-Tech Construction that includes a high-powered pump that runs on electricity and is built-in to the mattress for maximum convenience. The Intex air mattress can be inflated in about 4.5 minutes to full firmness.
The top of the mattress is 22” from the floor and features a waterproof flocked top for extra comfort.
The indented sides keep your fitted sheets in place even during the night while you’re sleeping. The air pump plug can be plugged into any 110-120v and can be switched on with just the touch of a button.
The dimensions of this comfortable air bed are 60 x 22 x 80. It has a 600 pound weight capacity; and comes with a convenient duffel bag for easy storage and transport.
3. Intex Pillow Rest
Another popular air mattress from Intex is this twin mattress that comes with a pump that is built in and that runs on electricity.
The top of the air mattress features a waterproof flocked top for extra comfort and the vinyl beams provide additional sturdiness. The built-in pillows ass even more comfort for friends, family, and guests.
This mattress can be inflated in about 3 minutes easily so you don’t have to wait a long time to have the bed ready for guests.
This mattress is 16.5” from the floor is double-layered and measures 39 x 16.5 x 75. The Intex pillow rest air mattress has a weight capacity of 300 pounds. Your guests will love the plush comfort this air mattress provides.
The Insta-Bed Raised air mattress features a never flat technology that makes this one of the most comfortable air mattresses available. The pump system keeps the mattress inflated at all times during the night.
This comfortable air mattress has two air pumps; the main pump auto inflates and deflates your mattress in less than four minutes. The second pump keeps track of the air in the mattress and maintains is to the desired levels even while you sleep.
This never-flat technology ensures that the mattress never sags, never loses air pressure, and does all this in a quiet manner thanks to the super quiet pump that won’t disturb your sleep. Users can choose from three different comfort levels: firm, medium, and plush. The never flat pump will keep your air mattress at whichever comfort level you choose all night long.
5. SoundAsleep ComfortCoil
This SoundAsleep air mattress features 21 air coils that provide the user with support and durability. The bed is designed to stay firm and flat throughout the night so you get a sound sleep.
The one-click built-in pump can inflate the mattress to full capacity in less than three minutes and is easily topped off in minutes.
This is the perfect mattress for guests, friends, and family whenever you need an extra place to sleep. The dimensions of this twin air mattress from SoundAsleep are 73 x 38 x 18.
The double-height of this air bed with dual chambers features sure-grip on the bottom so it doesn’t slide around during sleep.
The top of the air mattress has a super thick, waterproof top that has a puncture-resistant material for maximum durability and comfort. The motor used in this mattress is super quiet so it does not interrupt any sleep. The convenient carry bag makes taking the mattress with you easy and simple. This mattress comes with a 1 year warranty.
Air mattresses are the perfect solution to lack of sleeping space whenever you have friends, family, or guests staying over and you don’t have a designated guest room. It is also a great choice for kids’ sleepovers.
The top rated air mattresses we have featured above were chosen based on their performance and results from the research that was done. These ten mattresses are high quality air beds that are made to be comfortable, durable, and long lasting. They are so comfortable that your guests may prefer the air mattresses or a regular bed.
We have also provided you with five detailed reviews on the best of the best; the top five air mattresses that are popular with consumers. We have also put together a buying guide that will give you the knowledge and information you need to understand the features that air mattresses offer.
This information will make the research and selection process much simpler so you purchase the right air mattress for your specific needs.
6. King Koil
10. Leggett & Platt
Most Comfortable Air Mattress Comparison
Intex Pillow Rest
Leggett & Platt
|Size Available||Twin, King, Queen, Twin XL||Queen||Twin||Queen||Twin||Twin, California King, Queen||Queen, Twin||Full, King, Queen, Twin XL||Queen, Twin, Camping Queen||Full, Queen|
|Weight Capacity (lb)||500||600||300||500||500||600||500||300||500||400|
Most Comfortable Air Mattress Buying Guide
There are several things you need to think about before you purchase an air mattress. Considering these points will help you make the best decision possible on a quality mattress you and your guests will appreciate.
- How will the air mattress be used? -If you are using the air mattress for yourself or guests as a temporary bed, consider choosing one with a double height. A double-height air mattress will be almost the same height as a regular bed which makes it more comfortable and well as easier to get in and out of. If you’re using the air mattress for camping, hiking, or other outdoor activities, choose a single height mattress which will fit in your tent easier and will be easier to carry when deflated as well.
- Who will be using the mattress? –Is the air mattress going to be primarily used by teens? Kids? Your parents? If adults or elderly guests will be using the mattress, make sure you get one that fully supports, is reinforced, and durable. These characteristics will provide an excellent sleep for any adults using the mattress. The most supportive design will be the double height, raised air mattresses that do not lie directly on the floor; they consist of air coils that provide plenty of support and comfort to the user. These air mattresses are a far cry from the uncomfortable ones of decades past. Now you can get air mattresses that are so comfortable and high end that you will consider replacing your regular bed with them.
- How will the air mattress inflate? –If you are purchasing an air mattress for inside use only, you can use a free standing pump that plugs into a wall outlet that will inflate the bed in minutes. If you will be using your air mattress for camping, you will need to choose an air mattress that inflates with a pump that can be powered manually or with a car’s outlet. It is important to choose the mattress that has the kind of pump capability that you will have easy access to.
- What size air mattress do you need? –Air mattresses come in the same sizes that regular mattresses come in but the most common sizes are Twin, Full, and Queen. If adults will be using the mattress you will probably want the Full or Queen so you have plenty of room. The same applies to couples that will be using the mattress. Children can comfortably use the twin size. Don’t forget to take weight capacity into consideration as well especially if couples will be sleeping on it since there will be the weight of two people and not just one.
- Where will you be storing the mattress?– If you are going to be using the mattress only when guests come and the rest of the time it will be deflated, you will need a place to store it. You will not be able to fit the mattress back into the original box once it has been inflated. Some people leave the mattress up all the time in the guest room but unless the air mattress is replacing a regular bed, they are most often deflated after use and packed away.
Features of a Quality Air Mattress
Below we have outlined some of the best features an air mattress can and should have to get the most out of using one. When doing your research, make sure to look for these features.
- Easy set up –You want an air mattress to inflate and deflate easily. No one wants to battle their air mattress every time they need to use it. If you are using the air mattress for camping, look for self-inflating models. Most of the air mattresses on the market today have built in a pump that can deflate and inflate a mattress in less than 4 minutes and that includes a Queen size. Make sure the pump is easy to use with simple dial controls for the easiest usability. There are three different types of inflation that an air mattress can use:
1. Self-inflating –This type of inflation is best for those using the mattress for camping and backpacking purposes.
2. Manual pump –This involves using a separate pump that is plugged into the wall and attached to the air mattress. The key to using a manual pump successfully is making sure the air pump nozzle fits the air mattress properly so inflation is fast and easy. Some manual pumps are foot-operated; others just require plugging in to work.
3. Built-in pump –Internal or built in pumps are the easiest and most convenient type of pump available with air mattresses. You will need a power source with these types of pumps as well but once you plug it in you don’t have to do anything else and most of them work quickly and easily to get the air mattress to full inflation within minutes.
- Does not deflate during use– A common problem when using older style air mattresses was that they would slowly deflate while you were using them. Current, modern air mattresses are designed much differently and slowly deflating during use is a problem of the past. There are even some models that have never-flat technology. This technology usually involves a secondary pump that continually monitors the inflation levels of the mattress and will automatically inflate the mattress more to keep comfort levels where you have selected them to be.
- Has plenty of support– A high quality air mattress will provide users a comfortable, supportive sleep that rivals a regular mattress. Air mattresses from years ago had a bad habit of forming bubbles or lumpy areas due to poorly distributed air in the mattress. Coil counts of 30 coils or more are going to provide the most support for a bed that is queen-sized. With the advanced designs that air mattresses offer nowadays, finding one with plenty of support is easy.
- Has a good warranty –The best air mattresses and air beds on the market will back up their mattress with a good warranty. Not all companies offer warranties on air mattresses so be sure to take the reputation of the company into consideration as well. If the company is an unknown and they don’t offer warranties on their mattresses, it may be better to skip that particular brand. The best warranty on an air mattress is at least one year.
- Easy to store -Storage is an important factor if the mattress is not left in the set up position or you don’t have overnight guests on a regular basis. You also want to look for a mattress that is easy to put away while you are between camping or hiking trips. If you are using a single air mattress for yourself on hiking trips, keep weight in mind and look for lightweight models that are easy to carry in a backpack.
- Comfortable surface -Many air mattresses have flocked surfaces which are soft and offer warmth during cooler seasons. Some have pillow top designs and other ways to provide extra comfort to the user. Some surfaces are even made of velvet or velour for additional comfort during sleep.
- Durability –No one wants to purchase an air mattress only to have it pop or get punctured the second it is used. Look for durable, reinforced air mattresses that offer puncture-resistant material and be mindful of where the air mattress is being set up. Don’t let children jump on it with shoes or toys and when using it on camping trips, pay attention to the ground underneath the air mattress and watch out for sharp sticks and rocks.
Purchasing the right air mattress involves some research, knowing what your needs are, and making sure that the company and product is of high quality. Just going online and randomly choosing an air mattress without taking a close look at the features and reputation of the company could spell disaster and disappointment once you get it home and unpacked.
Because there are so many different types, styles and brands of air mattresses on the market which can make sorting through them challenging. Knowing exactly what your needs and preferences are can help make the process a little simpler and can prevent you from purchasing an air mattress you are not happy with.
The buying guide we have provided as well as the top ten comparison chart and the five reviews are designed to give you the information and knowledge to sort through all the different options and choices available and narrow it down to the one that will fit your needs and provide the kind of product you will be happy to have and use.
Air mattresses are a useful and convenient way to add extra sleeping space to a home that may not have dedicated guest space as well as giving kids a place to sleep during sleepovers. They are also wonderful for campers who do not like sleeping directly on the hard ground due to back problems or other ailments.
Whatever your reason is for wanting an air mattress, there are some fantastic ones to choose from that will provide comfort, support, convenience, and great value. This guide will help you find the perfect one for you.